GMS won't shut off! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
dadzilla-5

Total Props: 0
GMS won't shut off!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi - I have a GMS 40 that runs well and has lots of power. It starts reasonably well, and has a gallon of fuel through it. The only problem of note is that it won't shut down. Even with the carb barrel closed up tight, it still sits there idling away - at a very low rev, just above shutting down. I sealed up the join between the carb and the body of the engine with some sealer, but no good, it still won't shut down without pinching the fuel line. any ideas what to try next?
Thanks!
zilla
dadzilla-5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Have seen the same problem with loose backplates as well.

Jim Moss
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
recon
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Brady
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Pretty much every GMS engine has this problem. I have 2 of the .47's one works fine, and the other doesnt shut off. Its not that big of a deal for me, I have it on my old trainer. Ive heard that it might be caused from an air leak in the forward bearings.
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-20-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
R Plante
RCC Contributor

I am: Randy P

Total Props: 4
we have 2 that came with the bolt that holds the carb in place in backwards. Check that it rotates to pull the carb down when you tighten it up. If it doesn't remove it and reinsert from the other side. Fixed both of ours .

Good luck

Randy
R Plante is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
chiroman
RCC Apprentice

is there a trick to removing that bolt? my gms does the same thing.
chiroman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
Friend of mine with an MDS 61sealed everything up, still wouldnt shut down. Gave it to me to check out. I put a hose on the carb with a tight fit. Dunked it in a tub of varsol. Blew in the hose. Air was coming out the front brg. as fast as I could blow it in. Sent it back to the HS. He started up a new MDS 32. Second tank of gas it was doing the same thing. Bummer!
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
This GMS 40 needed the rear bearing replaced this spring. We opted to replace the rear and front bearings.

When I removed the front bearing I discovered that it was shielded on one side, but not sealed. The shield does nothing for this bearing as it is behind the drive washer. It results in a very significant air leak. The air will go through the bearing as fast as you can blow it through. It is no wonder that this engine wouldn't shut off and was sometimes tempermental to tuned.

I put a sealed front bearing in. No shields. I left the outside seal intact and cut a small slit in the inside seal so some oil could get to it. The sealed bearing made a huge different on this engine. There is no longer a major air leak through the front bearing. The engine is now super easy to tune, very reliable, and yes it does shut off when you chop the throttle closed.

If anyone is having tuning problems with their GMS 40-47, or that your engines do not shut off and you have corrected all other potential sources of air leaks (carb and back plate) -- just replace the front bearing with a sealed bearing.

TTFN!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:36 AM   #8
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Hi,

The easiest way to find if you have an air leak is to idle the engine, then spray WD-40 where you suspect the leak is, if the engine acts up where you spray, that is the problem. Spray around the base of the carburettor, the body of the carburettor, the engine back plate, then the front bearing.

Spray the front bearing last, otherwise the spray may migrate back to the other leaking areas giving you a false report.

Also, check out this thread on GMS I started at RCU regarding GMS problems:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2290854

You should read it all, but most of the good stuff is near the end of the thread.

Let me know how you make out.

Fly4Fun,

Wayen Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
chiroman
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Paradis
If anyone is having tuning problems with their GMS 40-47, or that your engines do not shut off and you have corrected all other potential sources of air leaks (carb and back plate) -- just replace the front bearing with a sealed bearing.

TTFN!
Will this help with a GMS 47 that dies on tight loops?Apparently this is a common problem as well but only with the 47 that I am aware of.
chiroman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
GMS Quitting

Hi Chiroman,

Drilling the GMS brass insert, as described in the above thread, typically takes care of:

Engine quitting just after takeoff
Engine quitting on loops
Difficulty adjusting high end (high end has a broad range of adjustment)
Difficulty adjusting transition

The thread also describes a couple of suggested tuning procedures.

Also, I find the engine likes the Fox idlebar plug, this is fine with me since they are very reasonably priced and seem to work in almost all engines. I fly mine with 15% nitro and fuel with at least some castrol in it.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in