Transforming vtol edf jet drone (varitech) – robotech project - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related
Sponsored by: Shami Hobbies

Old 07-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #21
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: VAL

Total Props: 1
Re: Transforming vtol edf jet drone (varitech) – robotech project

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Enough messin’ around. Going for the first humanoid varitech. I believe I have enough experience with folding and sweeping wings to try this and transition it to a jet in the air. First it has to be able to do the vertical tho…

Don’t get me wrong it will not be easy!

If I can manage this, I will go for dual fans...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	robo1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	877.0 KB
ID:	1019689  
vaalleon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #22
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

Decided to call it MONOID.
Here’s how the neck / wing mechanism works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXx8...ature=youtu.be

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:00 AM   #23
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

MONOID

I had lots of trouble on the way to the maiden flight. First of all, I found out that the new metal gear digital servos have been sabotaging my project. For some reason they weren’t able to process mixed servo signal properly and I couldn’t find I way to work with them even though I played around with the code many times. So, they went to my junkyard…

I picked up 4 old servos that I have used in the past. These servos are pretty reliable, proven to work with the code but their shafts are not sturdy. Anyway, still worth a try, just to see if the beast will fly!

After adapting the new servos, this time the ESC BEC didn’t handle the load. So, I again picked up an old ESC with a defective BEC and added my 10A UBEC to the system. Good to go…

It did fly at the first try and the flight was pretty good! It was very responsive to the input. May need to lower the center of gravity a little bit. We’ll see in the future flights. Looking forward to adding the wings and the head. But before that will need to find some sturdy metal gear servos which will work with the code…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpuezmJpyc

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #24
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

New metal gear servos and wings are installed. This is the first setup which will be tested. The elevator and the rudder at the tip of the legs are cardboard at this point, because they will most likely be needed to be cut and re-shaped.

I couldn't find a canopy that I liked so I built one. Should do the job for now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp1lKLEJAbA

+ YouTube Video
Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #25
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

I broke my rule and tried multiple things together. Servo change along with aerodynamic changes. As a result, it took me a while to pinpoint the problems. Finally, a figured it out and had a good flight.

The fact is that the elevator/rudder combination on the legs didn’t sit well. Because of the nozzle design, they got into the airflow and disturbed smooth operation or the nozzles. Also, the servos turned out to be more responsive than the old ones, which caused me having to operate with the lowest P value in the history of Monos.

Now, since I need the elevators and the rudders in horizontal flight, I will need to come up with a solution which will not disturb vertical flight.

Below is the first long flight. Considering that there have been some major aerodynamic additions, it is very good. I felt very comfortable and did a couple of small loops around the park.

+ YouTube Video
Old 08-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #26
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

This is the first flight that I tested the transition. 25-30% into the transition, the unit started to lose balance. I think the reason is the lack of tail input. So, I had to find a better design for the tail wings, which will not disturb the horizontal flight by disturbing the nozzle air flow.

I put the pictures of the new design below.

My other observation was that the unit speeds up very quickly during transition. So, I hoping to be able to control it at a distance that I can see it, when the aerodynamics are suitable for the transition.

The flight was pretty good, towards the end I had a little fun, and got some flight close-ups. Vertical flight is very stable and fun.

+ YouTube Video
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5570.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	761.0 KB
ID:	1041009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5569.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	814.8 KB
ID:	1041017  
Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #27
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

The new face

Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #28
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

I am working on tuning the FC for horizontal flight and finding the right design for the rudder/elevator combination which will not interfere with the nozzle air flow and disturb the vertical flight. I will keep on posting the improvements.

A good flight with the new head. I really liked the looks

Old 09-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #29
vaalleon
RCC Junior Contributor

At this point, where I am dealing with all kinds of problems from servo alignment to resonance, I am judging myself for trying to achieve this hard task one more time.

As opposed to 1 design which I was able to successfully take to horizontal flight and back, I had 5 or 6 different designs that were not successful. And I may be on the route to another failure with this one. Well, at least I made a humanoid fly vertically and can live with not being able to convert into a flying jet…

I am learning a lot with this though. For example, the design didn’t like me to make the servo connections sturdier and whole structure was caught in a resonance shake in the air. So, a flexible aluminum sheet bracket is holding the servos, which got rid of that.

I tested many designs for the rudder/elevator and came up with the correct design which doesn’t disturb the horizontal flight. I also changed the canopy to a smaller version that I really liked… Pics attached.

One problem that I don’t have a solution for yet is that while transitioning, the yaw response is horrible. The unit is barely responding to full stick input. I had this problem with my first unit that I kicked the project off with, which utilized a similar thrust vectoring design. I believe the response will start coming back when it gets closer to horizontal, but then I need to keep the unit straight until I get the yaw response back. Will it still be in sight???

I also need to raise the center of lateral resistance, based on the response that I am getting from the unit…

Very tough project. Hope I don’t end up collecting debris from the field one more time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160904_180626.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	999.4 KB
ID:	1046121   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_180545.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	995.8 KB
ID:	1046129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_180539.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	985.3 KB
ID:	1046137  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.