Good servo for a Butterfly - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Gerard Gagnon

Total Props: 0
Good servo for a Butterfly

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I started yesterday my Butterfly and I have no idea witch servo to use, they are so many choice, from what I can read a slow trainer like this one doN,t need fancy digital, but what about torque ? I will probably use an electric motor with a 4s lipo, but it's not sure at 100%, ao option for both electric and 0.15 will be great

thanks, Gerard

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc1_zpswr3ipkv3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	638401  
area66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39
Re: Good servo for a Butterfly

Anything similar to these HiTec ones would be fine.
40 oz servo's were pretty much the norm when this airframe was conceived.
Hope this helps.
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Mike W.

Total Props: 2

If your build is the Dynaflite Butterfly, I am using these HS 225MG which are serving me well.. Getting the sailplane as light as possible is required and using a 4s lipo is pushing it a bit. good luck on the build.
ballast is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

One 'rule of thumb' - suggested by Ampeer, an online blog on electrics - to aim for torque power 50% (or more) of the all up weight of the plane; so if the model weighs 80 ounces, use a servos with 40oz/inches or more.

In this kind of trainer - servos in the fuselage compartment under the wing; roomy fuselage, lots of wing area, slow flyer, "basic"/no frills analog servos would be fine. IMHO, an ounce more of less located around the center of gravity, is not critical in this kind of plane.

good luck,

Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

HS81's or HS85's would be my choice. They are compact, quite light and powerful for their size. My #1 choice for under 3 meter gliders. I have been using them with great success in even larger planes.

As for battery sizing, that depends totally on the motor/prop combination you choose and how long you want your flight times to be. You need the right balance between cell count, motor kv ratting and prop size.

I have an old timer smaller than the Butterfly that runs 4 cell 1000mAh packs that gets 20 minute flights and I also have a 2 meter glider with 2 cell 2000mAh packs that gets 45 minute flights. Both have very similar performance and watt draw. Different motor specs and props.

Look up motors in the 175 watt range (yes I know they are not publishing that spec much anymore)and follow the cell count and prop size recommendations. For you plane you will want a lower kv/big prop motor.

I will look one up for you and show you what I mean.

Brushless Outrunner
Motor Type:

370/400 Range
Motor Size:

9x6 to 12x6
Prop Range:

7.2-12 v
Voltage Range:

890 rpm
RPM/Volt (Kv):

.20 ohms

.69A @ 8V
Idle Current:

4 mm
Shaft Diameter:

2.5 oz

28 mm

33 mm

14 A
Continuous Current:

Max Burst Current:

6-10 cells
NiCd/NiMH Cells:

2-3 cells
Li-Po Cells

Max volts are 12 and max amps 14 for 168 watts.

The recommended prop sizes are:
9 x 6 ( with the 3 cell battery) and
12 x 6 (with the 2 cell pack)
These are the extremes that still fall within the specs of the motor and are starting points so somewhere in between will be your happy spot.
Pick a cell count that suites you (availability/present charger size etc), invest in a watt meter, get a few props in the size range for your cell count and experiment till you get the performance you are happy with.

Experience tells me that around 150 watts will be a comfortable power level for a rank beginner with this plane. Nice climb without getting all twitchy on you!

Put the battery and ratio gear as far forward as you can on this plane as it has a long tail moment to balance out. You may even need to put some sort of extension on the firewall to get the motor weight further out and avoid a lot of extra lead added.

Good choice of bird by the way, have fun and don't forget to turn the motor off and go thermal hunting!

Hope this helps. Merv
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 06-13-2015 at 08:19 AM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.