KABUTA Tractor Lawn Mower Stolen - Lessons learned - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
KABUTA Tractor Lawn Mower Stolen - Lessons learned

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello All

Last Sunday Night (Cold, rainy, miserable night), our club, the Niagara Region Model Flying Club, had our almost brand new Kabuta tractor lawn mower stolen.

Details about the theft - The sit down lawn mower, was housed in converted trailer permanently mounted in the ground. This trailer has solid sides with steel bands running on all sides. The heavy metal door was locked with one of those titanium kryptonite locks. (weighs almost 2 pounds).

Our field is alongside a highway with good visibility. The storage trailer is about 20 feet from the hghway (highly visible).

The thieves, according to the police definitely scoped out the site for a number of days (weeks) looking for patterns. We were cutting our grass about every 3-4 days because of the rain (and that fact we fertilized our field this year).

They initially tried to torch the lock off. This was ineffective, so they got out the diamond, or carbide grinder. This took care of the lock on the outside. Inside, the mower was chain locked with 2 inch thick chain links in 4 separate locations. They cut through them all.

They then dragged the mower out onto a waiting trailer, and off they went. They police brought their forensic unit out and spent about 5 hours trying to get prints etc. No such luck for us though.

Apparently the thieves also took 2 other Kabuta tractors in the area. They had this thing down pat.

In the aftermath

1. We had taken out a good but not great insurance policy. We had full replacement value insurance on the tractor. This is great. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we initially got a great deal from the Kabuta dealer in the area. Great company to deal with too. We got a $14K unit for about $9K (the tractor was not new but a little used - not many hours).

So we got full replacement value on the unit (the policy was for a maximum value of 10K though, because the initial cost of the unit was $9K plus tax.

So now it is going to cost us an additional $4K for a new unit. POO POO

2. The police told us that we did everything right in securing the tractor as safely as possible. The insurance company also scoped out our installation prior to insuring us.

3. We are getting Hydro to drop a transformer by our trailer so we can mount some sodium lights.

4. We are also investigation a remote anti theft system. If any one has any suggestions please write me in this forum.

What we learned

1. Get full replacement value on a brand new unit, not what you paid for it. There could be difference.

2. Have the police come over and give you a quick assessment on your security. The report alone will help ensure your insurance claim is processed quickly. (ours went through in 2 days)

3. Get a copy or even have an insurance guy come over and inspect your area and security. This too will help in any claims the future may bring.

Thanks guys
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.."
Henry is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: James B

It may seem a little extreme but by the sounds of the price of the tractor it may be worth it. From what I've heard, there's a device that's being installed in new cars in the province of Quebec that are valued over a certain amount. If any car is taken it can be tracked anywhere in the world via GPS. I'm sure that even if that system is impossibly pricey there would be others available like it.

Another option would be a remote serveillance(sp?) camera. Look into those cause you may be able to mount one inside or outside the trailer to a vcr(if that is you have access to power?) My brother has one at his house and if anyone goes near the house when he's not there, the motion sensor activates the vcr to record and he can see who was there. Just some ideas, not sure if they'll help or not. Sorry to hear about the loss of the tractor, sounds like it was a beauty!
MAAC - 64494

Bisson Custom Mufflers
jamesbissonjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:51 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

We had the same thing happen here in Edmonton years ago, we had a Honda tractor stolen ~$10,000.00 worth ... so we got a SEARS $4000.00 tractor .. guess what? nobody is interested in it (or seems to have been to this point) ... it cost a lot less .... and with the extended warranty that we bought ... it has been just as reliable without any problems ....

what did we learn ....

1. Save the money and buy a good reputable brand .... NOT A CADILAC

2. take some of the money you saved and buy as long an extended warranty as you can ....

3. Take the other money you saved and buy something else for the feild.
plncrzy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:59 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Although this has never happened to us..... and I hope it never does, I can sure see the problems it would cause. I am also involed with the grass cutting at our field.
Insurance is definately necessary. ....... but also costly for some of the clubs. If only a rider or something could be obtained through the national organization MAAC. This could be a cost saving to many clubs.
What do ya all think?
Brian Graham
MAAC 22269-L
Daredevil, Flying Fool and All-Around Good Guy
rcav8tor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:43 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8
Our club used to do it but now we have a professional lawn service do it for us. It is better than ever. After doing a cost study we found that it was a break even proposition.

MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Check with a couple of rental car agency's. I am sure they have them GPS on some of the rentals. If so maybe try to deal with them. Motion detectors work but not to many people check them out. My friend who owns a transport business had problems when they broke in and they cut the phone lines before breaking in. Same as the Legion but his cure was two big red lights on the roof and one big whopping siren. The next time they went in they woke everybody up. He had a motion sensor inside. The cops got them before they got 2 blocks. Might be worth a try and cheaper. My house is now wired that way. Nobody likes to get woke up in the wee hours.
I know because I forgot when at a party and tripped it myself. It is embarrasing but the cops had me.
Have a good time at the field.
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.