Covering question.... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Daniel H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 2
Re: Covering question....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, i wanted to get this panel one so I went low and slow...low heat on the iron and slow on the progress.

Worked out OK...better than the other panels. Still had lots of bubbles to work out but those should be gone until I do the fuse. I will be picking up that tool as the fuse is mostly solid ply.
habs992000 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jean Pierre
Radio of choice:
JR 7202
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3

Hi Daniel, when I have bubles I take a good needle(aiguille) and pick in the bubble. Try not to go trough the underlay. Reheat the bubble and the gas in it should escape and seal the hole. The wood pecker is ok on a fully sheeted surface but on a regular wing you may ruin the monokote. And some products dont stick well on others. When its the same brand on both its ok.
Good luck
you can Pm me in french if you want.
Flyinbullmax is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Now that the deed is already done, you have to go around with an iron with a sock on it and a pin and let the air out of every bubble or rip it off and start over with a woodpecker.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC20(2) & MX12 & MZ-18 & MZ-24
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 11

If you look at the blue colors on the Tiger Moth although you can't see it there are no bubbles at all. This is for putting one covering over top of another. I find it difficult to do this with an iron and not get bubbles. All of the blue covering was done with the technique below.

This is done with Windex and Lacquer Thinner.

Cut out the covering to the desired shape. Clean the surface to be covered with alcohol and let dry. Spray the covering on the bottom side with Windex. Don't be shy in doing this soak it well. Place the covering in the desired position, it can be moved around a bit.

Take a playing card (or something similar) and squeegee out the Windex removing the air bubbles. Takes a bit of time but you should be able to get them all out. At this point let it dry for a couple of days. The Windex will evaporate out from under the covering.

Take a Q-tip and dip in Lacquer Thinner not dripping wet but soaked. Run the Q-tip around the outer edge of the covering. This will activate the "glue" on the underside of the covering.

If there are a couple of air bubbles don't worry as they should disappear over time.

I have been doing it this way for many years and it works perfectly.

P.S. Go over the trailing edge with an iron BUT only after the Windex and Lacquer Thinner are completely dry. A really hot iron will make the Windex turn into steam with very bad results. So make sure all is dryed out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6193290.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	651233   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg-192413.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	652001  

Last edited by cloudniner; 07-01-2015 at 06:05 PM.
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.