Sources for G10 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Sources for G10

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does anyone know of a Canadian source for G10 sheets. I am looking for 3/32 sheets in Black. I have found one place in the states that carry Black G10 but they only carry 1/16 and 1/8.

I am making custom tail fins with this material (and no I am not doing it to save money, just for kicks). What is the feeling of using 1/16 G10. Is it to thin? One of my Furys has .093" and the other has .075" G10 fins. I have no idea where they get the .075 as that is not a standard size. I am worried the .063 will oscillate.

slammers is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 8
I don't know where to get any G10 sorry but I make all of mine from plastic and I think they turn out pretty good.

I've painted them too black so from a distance they look like carbon..not as nice though, but they do the trick.

Align R/C, OS Engines, Futaba, Great Hobbies, Hatori, SGP, Morgan Fuels, Castle Creations
Colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
When I had my Schluter Magic, I made my horizontal and vertical fins from 1/16th G10 and they were TOO thin, would vibrate a lot, especially the vert. fin.

1/8th is heavy...

Why not do what I did, buy some 6 ounce carbon cloth, cut a few layers and press up some sheet from epoxy (I use west systems) and cloth, use some plastic for release and two pieces of melamine or smooth board to even out the pressure and clamp it together squeezing out the excess epoxy. You can make awesome fins (among other things) this way and the carbon cloth cuts and workd a lot easier than G10 which is HELL on blades... unless you use a carbide bit in a router to cut them out.

When I was in college I cut out a bunch of heli frames for Steve Gray on the CNC machining centre as one of my 3rd year projects (Flitecraft Models in Kitchener, who used to stock a bunch of G10 for his own use). He may have some left that he would sell? You would have to call and ask.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:49 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
I did not want to get too involved here. I purchased a Taig CNC milling machine a few months ago so I just wanted to buy some off the shelf material to carve out. I make a lot of brackets and things out of G10 but so far I have just been using one sided copper clad material. I now wand to make fins so they need to be more attractive than the beige FR4/copper.

slammers is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.