Quadra 35 teething trouble - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2003, 09:40 PM   #1
D. McCutcheon
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Quadra 35 teething trouble

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
New experience, purchased unran quadrea 35 and am having problems getting it to run well enough to transition from lo to hi rpm
plug is new and seems to spark well using aprox 25-1 mix same as my gas weedeater flipping like mad with prop at 2 and mags at coil will start with prime and stay running if i finger the intake to provide choke 1-5 the time once warmed up stays running restarting is a problem was using a 18-8
dynatrhrust now want to try 18-6 wood good idea ? on large scale photo plane not that that will make it any more tempermental idle if you can call it that is at say 4200 and top= 7100 canot see how to set ritcher as screrws are aprox 2 turns from falling out high speed seems lean any sudjestions will be appreciated hope everyones enjoying summer thanks DEREK 59988
D. McCutcheon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
I would say you are running the engine rich... Research a proper break in or just continue to run it at 25:1 at medium RPM's.. After a few tanks etc.... change your ratio to 40:1 or better yet 50:1 and use a good quality oil....... If this is the first run don't worry to much about RPM.. Keep it rich and don't fly until you have broken the engine in...... The first few runs plays a big part in the overall life of the engine... After a good break in ,do mix your fuel with a good quality oil at 50:1 with a new plug and then tune for transisition......
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
The Quatra 35 transitions best with a velocity stack on the carb. I break in a gas engine using an ashless petroleum oil (Stihl) at 32 to 1 then I switch to 100 to 1 synthetic.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
D. McCutcheon
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Thanks for your help guys, tried the motor again today and pulled off the fuel line and couldn't blow thru it even with the valve open so pulled the needle side of the carb apart and found a small amount of crud <not varnish not dirt light beigh in color> to be removed and since I had it off I opened the other side<pump diaphram and spring supported flapper>found the flapper thats spring supported fully bound opened support arm screw untill flapper had good motion reassembled and installed carb and holy smokes that thing fired up like a champ.
put a long chunk of heater hose on the hind end so the neighbours didn't shoot me and ran 60 oz thru rich and happily changed to the 18-6 <still hurt when it bit me > will now start to lean it out as we go thanks again any other advice will be appreciated. thanks DEREK
D. McCutcheon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.