Windrider B737 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

I am: Daniel M

Total Props: 0
Windrider B737

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok, ive just ordered the Windrider B737, I chose to include the 14 blade fans and servos in this order. Now, question, I need motors and ESCs.
Its 70mm and about 3 - 4 kg finished. What motors would be good? It recommends 3000 kv, 550W or so.
And, please don't recommend motors that cost around $100 each, I don't have that cash to throw around.
Thanks for your input, this is my first foray into EDF and its exciting. Always wanted an airliner too.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
Re: Windrider B737

Having helped a friend build and fly the same model, I can say you have bought an advanced "first" EDF.
We planned for using 5000-5500mah 6S batteries as that is what I use in most of my 90mm jets. At the time there was no perfect motor for 6S but we made the Turnigy L2855 2100kv outrunners work by limiting power through the ESC and throttle end point travel. This requires to set the proper selection on your ESC and not use automatic throttle calibration. Some extra cooling worked in by opening up the cooling cone on the back end of the motor and opening up the cooling holes in the plastic motor mount area. It is essential to limit the thrust to 900watts or less as full power is about 1300watts and will fry the motor. I think if it was run on 5S the output would be very close to the 900watt limit. This setup works well in the 737 and in my ME262.

Recently a very affordable 6S setup became available. The Changesun 12 blade fan combined with a Cyclone power 2000kv outrunner. It is perfect for a twin 6S plane and flies our A10 nicely. Here is a little thread on them.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=311026
They do however require you do dynamically balance them if you want reliable, decent sounding performance.
Good luck on your build! It is a lovely plane, but please fly some other EDF jet first to learn the basics. They don't fly like anything with a prop.
Here is the thread on the one I helped with.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=197442
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

Than you, I appreciate this information. Im wondering if the L2855 630 W motor would be as good though with a 4s set up. Did the 6s add a lot of weight overall as opposed to a 4s set up?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I haven't done any testing on a 4s motor but perhaps on RCGroups you can find some more info. It wasn't an option since we already had the batteries and didn't wish to order another.
The plane flies well on 6s and flight times are decent with a timer set to 4 minutes leaving plenty of reserve. You would need need higher amp draw on 4s to achieve the same watts so a very large battery would be needed, or accept shorter flights.
Getting back to the fans you bought. I discovered that the 12 blade CS fan had about 7% higher draw than the 10 blade CS. Your 14 blade will likely have a similar increase in load on the motor above the 12 blade. This is assuming the same voltage is applied. It is likely irrelevant as long as you use a watt meter and limit the power to 900 watts.
So many choices.... Regardless what you choose, it is prudent to do plenty of ground testing before trusting any setup in a plane you care about. I noticed motors of the same type had the odd one getting hotter than the rest but for $15 each, what can you expect?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

Interestin thought, as I do have some 6s 4000 mah batteries already. What C rating would you suggest? I think mine are 30 or 40 C. I could parrallel them if required too.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

If they are fit batteries, one 4000mah 6s should be fine. Set your landing timer to 3 minutes or less. My 5500 mah batteries were 25c Gens Ace.
6S is the way to go IMHO due to the lower amp draw.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7

That's a nice looking and nice size model. But if it's your first jump into EDF's, I agree with Eric about staring with something simpler. To save you some money and use the same power system, etc, try buying a foam Habu airframe. You can get them without servos, ESC, EDF unit, etc. plus, the airframe is inexpensive, well stocked and flies very nicely. I got mine for $100.00 out the door, but I've heard some have gotten it cheaper.

It's a 70 mm setup, but if you use two 3 cell 2200 batteries in series you most likely can squeeze them inside, inline. The battery area is made for a four cell 3300 battery. I found that you can removed quite a bit of foam under the cockpit area to get items inside.

This model has fixed gear that comes with the airframe kit so installing the flaps is a good option to practice your landings using them.

Also, after flying the Habu and you no longer need it, you can always sell it. But I don't think you will, it's a great flying plane. I have one, it's my third. The first met its end when I hand launched it and it slipped, the second one,,on its second flight became a lawn dart due to a radio failure. They say, the third time is a charm.

Good luck with your build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	651193  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

One thing about the Habu is they are cheap and good fliers. The vice is their sound but there is a fix! Simply change out the fan for a Changesun 10 blade, upgrade the ESC to 75-80 amp (mounting it in the intake duct for proper cooling). After dynamic balancing, the plane will sound like a jet and not a dentist drill on steroids.
Flies great on 4s. If you can find a second Habu motor, you have your second fan for the 737 in the future. Use the 10 blade and not the 12 or 14 blade fans to prevent overheating. I did also add some cooling fins on the motor as a precaution. Just glue them on with JB Weld.
Cheers
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=202853

Last edited by 4stripes; 07-01-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

Received my B737 last week when I was out of town, but as soon as I was back I opened it up. I noticed that the retracts have a metal pin as opposed to the plastic pin that others have been complaining about, and the wing has an almost full span carbon rod installed.
Dry fitting it together, I am amazed at the size of it
It looks really good at this point. I am considering flaps as I fly off of grass, and will be getting the Turnigy L2855 630W motors on 2 5S 4000 mAh batteries.
also leaning to covering it with silk or tule from the fabric store and WBPU.
I will paint it like the photo. Canadian North colours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C-GCNK.png
Views:	48
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	672001  
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

You mention that you still plan on using the "630w" motors, and on 5s. I assume you are referring to the 2800kv motors.
I doubt they are suitable with 14 or 12 or even 10 blade fans.
If you do some ground testing before mounting them you will get a chance to dynamically balance them and see if they can take the strain. Always good to do a number of runs to test all your components especially in such an ambitious model.
Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.