Windrider B737 - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

I am: Daniel M

Total Props: 0
Re: Windrider B737

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I appreciate the comments. Would you recommend the L2855-2100 900W? I don't want to go to 6S, so im wondering if those would work on 5S? If not ill go 6S, but I want to save weight if I can.
Considering the plane would come with a 3-4S 500W motor, im not sure which way to go then.

Last edited by Scale Freak; 08-02-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #12
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10

The watt limit of the motor is one thing but the kv rating is what determines how much current the motor will draw. This varies with the voltage (or cell count) and the type of fan used.
The 2100kv motor will likely draw close to 900 watts on 5s with a 12 blade fan. What the 14 blade fans will draw, is likely more.
Again I can't stress enough that ground testing with all systems operating together is the only way to see if it is reliable and what the current draw is. Get a watt meter if you don't already have one. You are attempting a twin EDF that isn't a straightforward kit. Assembling and dynamically balancing your fans is essential for longevity but it is your first. If one fan fails, the plane will likely be lost.
If you are patient and take the time to solve each challenge before installing the components you will have better chance of success.
As suggested before, try getting a single engine jet like the Habu or any other 65-70mm jet to learn the basics.
You can always build the 737 while flying and fine tuning the Habu.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

I do plan to ground test everything as Ive got all winter to get it all set up.
As one who has been involved in the aviation industry all my life, im quite ok with getting things as right as possible prior to actual flight, im in no hurry to launch a plane like this unless its as good as i can make it prior to flight.
I do think this will be a challenging and fun endeavour.

Last edited by Scale Freak; 08-23-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

post deleted.. :P
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

The 2100kv motors may work with 5S (6S is too much unless you limit the power). I'm afraid that with your 14 blade fans the draw on 5S may be more than their 900watt limit (6S will only be much higher). I would suggest the Changesun 10 blade fans as first choice with these motors on 5S.
Only assembling two fans and running will determine what the draw will be on one 5S battery (or both in parallel).
As mentioned before, I got the 2100kv motors to work safely by limiting the output through the ESC's and throttle end point travel on the transmitter. Without limiting they would burn up on 6S. This is a specific manual setting of the ESC and not the default setting it comes with out of the box. 5S would have been a better match but I only had 6S batteries to work with so I made them work.
It does stress the ESC's more to run less than wide open so I used 80amp ESC's. This setup has worked fine in two different models. I did improve the cooling of the motors by opening up the tailcone holes larger and opened up the cooling holes in the motor mount area of the plastic shroud.
Sorry the answers are a bit long winded but there is more to these EDF's than meet the eye.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #16
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

Posted this as well on RCgroups, but im hoping to also get the ideas of folks here:

Ok, I have a question regarding covering and painting. I did a Top Flight C182. Wanting to paint it as covering with monokote over all those compound curves would have been a nightmare..for me anyway.
I had to do it in the basement as I don't have a garage and I was building it over the winter.
Cutting light fiberglass is a process of frustration as it frays and just becomes tiny pieces of glass thread floating around.
I found whats called tulle, from the fabric store and it was very easy to work with and not as physically irritating as fiberglass.
I used WBPU and used a 50 - 50 mix micro balloons and WBPU to fill in the weave of the tulle.
sanding and painting provided a very smooth and nice finish.
Now, the cover is necessary for wood as if you paint over wood, you get the grain showing through. My question is on foam, would this fabric be of any use in the finishing process?
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #17
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I think you will add a fair bit of weight (and work). Vinyl stick on covering has been used by a few with nice results. Primer and paint will also look great.
Personally, I would just get it flying and then once all the bugs are out you can do the finishing. No point going through a lot of effort and then have to possibly repair some scrapes or dings that may happen while you get the hang of flying it.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

4stripes, good advice. ill do the finishing after, much what I did with the Anaconda.
Itll be a 'white tail' for a while then. As we called cancelled orders or returned aircraft at deHavilland, they were just painted white until a buyer was found.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7

Hi Daniel, I've cut yards upon yards of 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth,mans you are quite right, it can be frustrating using sizzors, which I don't because, it's frustrating. To get clean and frustration free cuts with the fine cloth, use a rotary razor wheel cutter., they are made by Olfa who make the razor knives. You can get them at a sewing shop or craft store like Michael's.

Here's what it looks like. When you squeeze the handle, the roller extends. I use it to cut all my carbon fibre cloth and fiberglass matting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	689745  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I should mention that paint doesn't seem to stick well on EPO. You think things are going great until you remove some tape for masking and it pulls the paint off! Home Harware sells a "super adherent" primer which might help if used as the first layer of primer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.