Hoaye F-18 build - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #21
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Re: Hoaye F-18 build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Finally finished sanding the fuselage and just brushed on the first coat of primer on the top. While waiting for the primer to dry so I can flip it and do the bottom, checked to see how well the canopy and cockpit base fit. To my surprise, they are a perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	653825  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #22
NDW
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nelson D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 4

John,
Your work is amazing!!!!!!! do tell.... what primer are you using... You are making me rethink my thoughts of starting this next winter.... May have to move my kit up the build chain and start sooner... I'm thinking of the Dr. Madd thrust 6 cell 10 blade fan units 1900 watts each.. I'm relatively new to this EDF thing... What do you think? your input is valued..
D.
NDW is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #23
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

The Dr Mad Thrust units are actually RC Lander products, I used to import them and they power my foamie Avro Arrow. I really like them, I use their 50 mm units.

As for their 70 mm units you are proposing to use, they require a fairly large 6 cell battery setup each if you want to get the full power they advertise and they will draw 80 amps so you're looking at a 100 amp ESC each. I tried having the twin 50 mm share one battery and found this caused a 50 watt decrease in power from each unit, that's 100 watts total which is a lot for that size. But when I used separate battery system, they both generated the stated power. So if you go with the 6 cell versions, then you'll have to fly carrying 12 cells. Your weight is now stating to get a bit high. So now the wing loading is greater and your landing speed will need to be increased or you will now need flaps. I did buy the scale like retracts and struts for this model, but not going to use them, they do weight the 14 oz so I eliminated that weight. They cost me $150.00 USD by the time they arrived, if you are interested in them, I will certainly let them go, they are good for a plane up to 15 lbs.

I'm building this model as simple as possible being a bungee launch model. I will be using twin 4 cell setups and will be targeting 800 watts per unit as my minimum. I'm using the Mega 5S EDF motor so I'm hoping on 4 cells, it will not be straining at all, the Change Sun 12 blade EDF units are quite nice and are light. Although I have not used tgis fan and motor combo, I'm hoping the amp draw is well under 80 as I have several new 80 amp ESC's.

The primer is CIL latex Smart primer, Home Depot sells it. I thin it down with water, it makes it easier to brush on smoothly and it extends the drying time so it can be brushed smoothly and brush marks flow together. Also it now has time to penetrate the foam surface and tiny cracks before it starts to dry. If you leave it overnight to cure hard, you can then lightly sand it with 150 grit sandpaper. Produces a noise smooth surface and you can now use low tack masking tape without worrying about it lifting paint when you peel it off. I'm not too sure about the other type of foam like EPO, as it is more softer that the beaded foam Hoaye used or the extruded foam that I made my kits from.

Last edited by Dutkoski; 07-07-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #24
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Here is what the retracts look like, the retract units appear to be RC Lander products as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	36
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	654401  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #25
Dandion
RCC Apprentice

I am: Daniel
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 3

nice project!
Dandion is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #26
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

After what seems to be two weeks of not working on this project, I'm back at it tonight. Layed up a fibreglass thrust thrust tube for the 70 mm Change Sun fan and fitted it place. Seems to be a nice fit, just have to figure out the CG location before trimming the tube length.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	32
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	663817  
Old 07-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #27
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Had to sand the foam opening somewhat so the fibreglass thrust thine fits snugly in the exhaust nozzle. I moulded the second thrust tube and it should be cured tomorrow morning and I can get it fitted as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	27
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	663825  
Old 07-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #28
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I was looking at mounting the battery packs inside the main fuselage, in the intake area but they were a bit too thick and with foam sorta thin in that area, decided to cut a hatch in the turtle deck, so, marked it out for the battery pack length.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	504.6 KB
ID:	663849  
Old 07-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #29
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Using a hacksaw blade that I had ground down the sides smooth to eliminate the wide curf, simply cut the hatch out. When you use a light touch and take your time, the saw blade cuts a really nice hatch line, doesn't chip the foam edges.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	32
Size:	470.3 KB
ID:	663857  
Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #30
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

The twin 4 cell 3300 mah batteries fit nicely. I will need to cut the interior webbing in the fuselage away so as to lower their positions by about 3/4" and add a light plywood battery shelf so Velcro can be used to hold the batteries in position. Also, will have to cut away the webbing inside the hatch and add rare earth magnets to hold the hatch in place.

The ESC's will get mounted in the air stream inside the intakes to keep them nice and cool.

This one photo at a time with the IPad is a pain in the butt. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	31
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	663865  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.