Hoaye F-18 build - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #41
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Re: Hoaye F-18 build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here's the whole assembly, using a DuBro nose wheel steering arm for a control horn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	667545  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #42
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I use one battery pack for each motor. I find when batteries are shared, the power is less than using separate systems. I'll be using two 3300 mah batteries so should have a fairly good run time at 45 amp draw.

Also, I pretty much use a separate 2 cell for the receiver. If the battery or ESC pooch out, at least I have a heavy controllable glider. I didn't once and it wasn't a pretty landing.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #43
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
Here's the whole assembly, using a DuBro nose wheel steering arm for a control horn.
Very nice engineering for the flying stabs. Just be careful using the plastic Dubro control arm as all that holds the torque is the nylon hub which is only guided by the set screw riding in the hole. With some torque I fear the plastic will split around the hole of the set screw and control will be lost.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #44
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

You mention using separate batteries for your fans which will cause uneven power should one battery not be in the same condition as the other. Since your fans are relatively close to the centreline the asymmetric thrust will not be an issue but in a twin like the 262 or 737 and loss of power on one side would spell disaster.
You will achieve the same power in your case if you ran your 4s packs in parallel since the capacity will be doubled. The benefit will be even power and both ESCs should continue powering the fans to the same point of LVC. If separate a weak pack could cause one fan to hit LVC long before the other. I don't use the LVC feature in my EDFs but I still prefer to have the same voltage running to both fans. The strong battery will help the weaker pack if in parallel.
I'm with you on having separate power for the RX but prefer using a separate BEC from the main flight pack. One less battery to take care of (or fail). Even if the main battery sags to below levels of producing enough power to fly, the BEC will still produce full RX voltage as it is just a fraction of that voltage. Sure the BEC could fail, and that is a chance I'm willing to take over having a separate flight pack fail.
Food for thought.
Cheers Eric
Old 07-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #45
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

You might be right about the DuBro arm, I'll fabricate a metal one, easy enough to do. I totally agree with you about the battery situation when the fans are far apart. But when I pair up fans, there is a noticeable drop in wattage. So I use separate systems when the fans are side by side. Seems to work for me.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #46
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

There will only be a noticeable drop in total wattage if you run one of your two batteries to run both motors. The minute you hook them up in parallel the power will be identical to power drawn by one motor with only one battery per side.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #47
SARPLT
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: MartinZ
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

Regarding 70mm EDF selection, I installed two of the inexpensive 6 blade EDFs from HK ($6.00) in my SU35, I believe they are FlyFly fans and mated them to Dr Mad Thrust 2600kv 6S (80amp, 1700w rated) motors. I just balanced and ran both fans on my test stand the other night and they were putting out 2.1 and 2.0kg of thrust at 59 amps and 1330w each. That is pretty good performance for about $40US. I just ordered the 10 blade fan from HK ($15) with the Dr Mad Thrust 2200kv 6S (80amp, 1600w) to do a comparison on performance. This setup is about $46US and a bit heavier at 308g (174g motor/134g fan) compared to the other 6 blade fan at 261g (196g motor/ 65g fan). Hopefully it will have a little more thurst. I am going to use these setups to replace some of my 4S 70mm EDFs in other models that are only putting out 1kg thrust. Although these setups are a little heavier then a typcial 4S setup, the extra 1kg of thrust makes up for the additional 125gs in weight, in my case anyway. Something to consider?

Marty

Last edited by SARPLT; 07-28-2015 at 12:21 PM.
SARPLT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #48
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

80amps from one fan on 6s is overkill for most twins but great for a single engine jet looking for absolute speed. With two of these in a twin, the battery will not keep up for long.
2000kv is plenty of power in twin form in our A10 on 6s.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #49
SARPLT
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: MartinZ
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

The 80 amps is the rating on the Dr Mad motors. In actual fact I was only getting 58 and 59 amps on each of the two fans during max power. Yes this likely is a bit overkill for power on a twin but this hopefully means that you can run them at a reduced power setting for cruise flight, maybe 35 amps each. It is nice to know that the power is there if you need it!!

Marty
SARPLT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #50
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

My point is that the power won't be there when you need it because the battery voltage will sag under the tremendous load.
The motors will take it and be awesome in a single but a twin isn't ideal for these motors.

I would expect some puffy batteries after the first flight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.