2003 F3A World Championships - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Precision Aerobatics Discuss Precision Aerobatics in canada

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys

Thanks for following the events as they went on, its always nice to know that you have fans back home cheering you on

I am still getting re-organized after the trip. I was not too happy with my finish but due to some mistakes made on my part in a certain manuver I was zeroed on a number of flights which was very costly to my scores.

Anyways as I get back to reality I will post comments both good and bad about my thoughts on the Worlds and some of the new stuff that was there.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:06 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Cool, allways interested in hearing about a cometition through a competitor's words rather than a spectator.

What manouver were you having trouble with?

How were your (and the rest of the team's) equipment operating, any airframe or engine difficulties?

How was the Polish hospitality and food? Any troubles getting around?

I would like to hear all about it!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #13

Originally Posted by AJCoholic
Cool, allways interested in hearing about a cometition through a competitor's words rather than a spectator.

What manouver were you having trouble with?
Snap rolls, not that I was having trouble with them, but the judges I guess thought I was not demonstrating an obvious enough break into the manuver.

I thought I was, but got caught and spent 3 of 4 rounds attempting to make it obvious enough without compromising the rest of the manuver, got it figured for the last flight but it was too late. Wont make that mistake again. Many others were getting nailed as well. I need to see the video when it gets done so I can see for myself what it looked like.

Also flying 3 rounds in upwards of 45 kph winds did not help me much either Anyways, lessons learned for the next time around.

Will post more later tonite.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:38 PM   #14

Ok here are some comments on the Worlds, I am going to try to keep it short or this could take a while

Get the hype stuff out of the way first

There were 3 bipes, Chip Hyde's, Seba Silvestri, and Giiche Naruke (flown by Onda Tetsuo). Since it was windy it was a good chance to evaluate performance. Chips was the largest of the three followed by Seba's and then Naruke's. Chips was also the most affected by the wind and really needed the 160DZ to pull it around with authority. It was obvious that he had to work it to make it look good. The other two bipes flew much more solid in the wind. They do get beat up a lot and exhibit very boucy flight characteristics in the wind.

After seeing them, I dont think there is any real advantage to them, from what I saw all the monoplanes were flying as good or better than the bipes.

This was pretty neat. Not the first time used in F3A world competition, but the first time that it is really a viable alternative. Not quiet (Jason repeatedly tested over 93 dB and was one of the loudest models there) even in the air there is a significant amount of noise from the gearbox. There were IC powered models that had less noise in the air than Jasons, although rumor has it a silent gearbox is possible. The model had an extreme amount of power, easily matching any other plane there. With the huge propellor (22x12, and 22x14) the downlines were very slow and the acceleration was literally instant.

It is still a fairly expensive venture from what I understood to get into it, there are not many models that are setup yet to handle it without modifications.

I wouldnt go out and sell your IC stuff just yet, but from the interest that the model received I wouldnt be surprised to see a large number of electric powered models in 2005.

My own thoughts on Jasons placing was that he should have been higher, without the smoke trail from the exhaust and the unique sound of the engine, I suspect that it may have cost him some points.

YS 160DZ

Insane powerplant!! Rumor has it that it is going into production and will be out next year. Easily capable of pulling your plane out of sight at 3/4 throttle with the restrictor in place

Very torquey with a broad powerband, Somenzini was running his at 7200 rpm on an 18x14, while Christophe was running a much smaller prop (not sure of the size right now) with the restrictor around mid 8's.

With the lack of need to run near full power, apparently fuel consumption and life is improved over the 140DZ.

That wraps up the really new stuff.

There was really nothing in the way of monoplanes that was dramatically different. Radio gear etc. was all the same old stuff.

For the contest, aside from a small problem with the calibration of the noise meters everything ran quite smooth. They could have pushed through the pilots faster but since they had listed flight orders with times they needed to stay on schedule which meant lots of breaks, and longer than required days.

The practise facility was amazing, with enough space for up to 4 individual flight lines.

The only complaint on the judging side was the snap rolls. In Ireland the snaps were very loosely graded, without many zeros for lack of break on entry. This time in Poland zeros were handed out in abundance, with yours truly getting his fair share. My only complaint was that I didnt feel they were handed out consistently, with many of the upper fliers getting away with what would be zeroed for a lower competitor, but that is to be expected. This complaint came from many teams.

As for the Canadians, Adam had no problems with his models and was flying quite solid for most of the contest. Since it was his first time out I think he got to see and learn a lot from watching all the flying.

Dan had some issues with his engine, the huge drop in altitude was playing havoc with his pipe settings (good reason to run a 4-stroke vs 2-stroke!). Although he was flying as good as could be expected I think he would have moved up a few spots had he more confidence in his motor.

I didnt really have any issues, I did change out the motor in my backup model as it seemed to have some problem which I couldnt identify before the contest started. I had to change out a receiver on my primary model since I was not happy with the range check (we used 35 MHz over there).

Other than that we had no issues with out equipement.

I beleive that three models were lost, I personally saw two of them happen to the Great Britain team during official practise. The first was due to radio failure, and the second was a wing failure. I do not know what happend to the third model that crashed. All pilots had backups and finished the contest.

So much stuff happens so fast, think about 500 rounds of competition in 6 days

Ok fingers all typed out for now, will post more later as I think of it, still trying to digest all of it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.