London Ontario Drone Strike!!!!! MAAC member crashes drone into police van. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22
Re: London Ontario Drone Strike!!!!! MAAC member crashes drone into police van.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
have seen and heard of many RC fields where the old school MAAC pilots messed up and landed in neighbouring homes' yards.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #22
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Alwayas an answer. Of course that has happened. Doesn't make either one good.

Probably even some new school MAAC pilots.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #23
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

I don't have a problem with the mentioning of MAAC and I think the newspaper story is detailed and measured and not 'sensationalized'. The newspaper story, once people read past the headline (and they will because it is a "juicy" headline) will come away with information on a working use of this rc technology.

The hydro staff and police were present, apparently consenting to the use of rc vehicle and the damage to the police van inconsequential.

Given the circumstances I don't see another authority - our aviation regulator - seeing this incident as a result of "recklessness" or irresponsibility.

Letting people know there is a self-policing body, community based organization called MAAC might lessened cries of the need for heavy handed regulation.

If you need to, take a Valium (smiley)
Newmarket, Ontario
MAAC 15048
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #24
RCC Apprentice
I am: Marc

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by joneil View Post
Hi guys - I'm the idiot. Please go ahead and call me all the names you want, will not be any worrse than what I have had the past 24 hours.

First off, if you want to talk to me directly, please do so - hee is my contact info

Joseph O'Neil
O'Neil Funeral Home
350 william st
London, ON
519 432 7136

Now a bit of brief background.

There is some disinformation out there, so a little background.

The aviation tradition is very strong in my family.

I trained and passed both ground school and solo test as a private pilot over 30 years ago, but then I bought my first house, saw the mortgage payments, and had to give up on flying, one of the great regrets of my life.

I had in my family, both my mother and father’s sides, five uncles in the military. One was an RCAF flight instructor during WW II, the other, during the Cold War, not only served on the DEW line as a helicopter mechanic, but also served for some years was part of the military team that investigated air crashes up north.

My son was an Air Cadet for six years.

I continue to have many friends who at present or past were in the air force, were pilots, private and commercial, or even worked for Transport Canada at various positions.

So as I said, the aviation tradition is very strong in my family - from both my mom and dad’s side of the family.

And I imagine they are all spinning in thier graves something fierce right now.........

so what was really happening?

Well, also understand, I was an Auxillary Police Constable for 15 with London Police, and I still keep in touch with many of them. Hard not to, I live across the street from the police station. Seriously.

Also, 3 uncles were police officers, one uncle a fireman, my grandfather a fireman, and well, you get my family background.

What specifically happened that day was this

I was talking to the hydro guys about those thermal imaging cameras that can fit on small quads, for many uses. For exmaple, I live north of the train tracks,a nd when CN hits somebody at night - sometimes accident, sometimes sucide, they use these cameras to find the body. As I said, I am a funeal diector.

So the hydro guys wanted to see the thing in action. the 18- car parking lot acorss the street was totally empty - except for that one police van. so here the quad is - brand new, two weeks old, I am hovering 80 feet AGL, the hydro guy, copper and myself are looking at it, totally still, not moving, just hovering for 4 minutes - then a large bang.

The bang was so loud that the hydro creew thought that somebody touched a live wire. Thent he thing came down, right on top of the only vechilce in the whole parking lot. go figure.

A very strong smell fo burnt circuitry.

sorry for the poor spelling and grammer, still very upset, and my dslexia kicks into high gear when i am this way.

The thing is, I ahve been in the past in contact a few times with transport Canada. The city of London likes my work so much,t hey wanted to hire me professioanlly to cov er the thames river. Almost all of my videosz are of natural areas - i am trying to protect enviromentall sentivie places in and out of the city, so almost all the time, when I am flying nobody else is around.

Youtube page to see for yourself

So what can I say. I feel like total s**t right now. Have all day since yesterday morning and it is not getting any better.

so go ahead, call me all the names you want, but if you want the full, complete story, call me voice on the business anytime. I ahve a radio station interview to do about it tommorrow afternoon, so it is not getting any better any faster right now
take care

Hey Joe,

We never met, never talk to each other but I hope you'll feel better soon. I feel your pain when you talk about aviation and had to stop it at a moment of your life. Same happened to me but I'm lucky enough to be a flight instructor and tester in the RCAF World now.
Problem happened sometimes and I don't think your intention were reckless or anything, but again, who am I to judge you ... That's why I will try not too !....
You probably learned something from this "event", that's how mankind grew up and brought us to where we are right now ... might not be the best example seeing the recent failings of the human race but still there is the ambition to achieve great feats at times, like bringing fantastic pics of a not very known new World today .
It would be cool if everybody could understand that our plane, helicopter, car, boat, truck, glider etc ... could have fail for one wire, bad soldering job, mishap and hit the same cop car ....
I wish sometimes forums could be more decent; I know the world we are living in now, is full of instantaneous reactions from any kind of people or medias, but maybe it's not the best way to react to a problem like this. Let the parties involved deal with this problem with all the elements they have, and let support Joe a little bit more ... I'm sure he needs a bit of our RC community to bring him back to the nice thing that our hobby can be.
Good luck finding the cause of the problem.
Catalyst Machineworks FPV Racing Team

Last edited by Flydynamics; 07-14-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Flydynamics is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #25
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: rob m
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

can,t find any mention of who manufactured this quad? can anyone enlighten us? sure didn,t look like a solo though it kinda acted like one
rmorhan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #26
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: David
Radio of choice:
Tactic TTX650
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

michaely can you send me a valium? percs are good as well
If you're planning on way-overpowering your plane and "flying like a maniac", you might consider gluing the tail feathers down to avoid flutter.
paladin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #27
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Nice talking to you tonight Joe, cops take the cuffs off yet?? You can't open my beer with those on!

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #28
FD av8r
RCC Contributor
I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 6

Joseph I applaud you for coming on here and describing the situation as it took place in your own words. Just like the crash of a full scale plane stirs strong public discussion so to do "drones" these days. Its a perception thing, when in reality I am sure kids playing street hockey or stray golf balls cause greater nation wide damage than "drones" do. Its an evolving technology and all we can do is take whatever precautions we feel necessary to be safe while enjoying our hobby.

Dreaming of next summer.....
FD av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #29
RCC Apprentice
I am: Hal C

Total Props: 0

Thanks for filling all of us in on the real story. The media has gone apecrap with their drone coverage, about which they know nothing and make up the rest. You were courageous to come here to tell your story. Best of luck in the future with Aerial Photography. Keep your chin up.
hcam232 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #30
RCC Contributor
I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Soaring Free Outside The Box

DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.