Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
2mm or 4mm coroplast?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
After finishing the Das Pla Stick Combat I thought I would build one as a sport plane but after reading posts from fellows like Jim, Brandon and John who have all receintly built and flown Debonairs, thought I would build one of these. I'm hoping to provide an alternate and much less cost effective airplane to some newer members and trainees and thought this would be more stable and docile.

The plans I downloaded call for the wing to be built of all 4mm coroplast! Is this how the others are built? Plans also call for the flutes to run chordwise. I tried foulding a piece of 4mm this way and found it really tough to do. Is there some secret to this or am I just not trying hard enough.

With all the trouble I've had trying to find 2mm it would make sense to find a design which uses 4mm only and the Debonair is a great looking SPAD to boot. Any suggestions would be helpful.... thanks
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Gary I ran the coro spanwise, opposite to what they recommend.

Bends a lot easier, just added the aileron to the wing section, and cut 1 flute for the hinge, after gluing the bottom of the wing to the top.

You will also see in the pic how large I made my Control horns.

Jim Moss
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:12 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
This is the beauty of Spads, and one of the points I always try to get across...nothing is ever set in stone, and the planes on the spadtothebone website are only suggestions...and there is never a definitive, only, or right way to do anything. I stuck with all 4mm for the debby wing for 2 reasons, one because it's a pain for some people to find 2mm coro, and two because an all 4mm wing is tougher and puts up with more abuse from training. There is nothing stopping a builder from using the ideas from the DPS wing and using 2mm coro, one spar, and saving some weight (flies better) and sacrificing some durability. The question of weather to run the flutes spanwise or chordwise is as old as Spad itself, and there is no definitive answer there either. I have, and continue to do it both ways. A chordwise fluted wing is harder to build, but the result is a much more rigid wing, with a slightly better airfoil, that resists rubber band crush better. A Spanflute wing is MUCH easier to build, and the ailerons don't have to be a seperate piece. The airfoil works fine, but the wing is a little more gooshier (for lack of a better term ) and is more suseptable to rubberband crush. From combat experience, we have learned that the spanflute wings are actually a little stronger due to this ability to flex a little more than a chordflute wing. So...the bottom line is that if you build to the suggestions presented on the spad site, you will end up with a great flying airplane...but the sky is the limit for your personal preferences and own ideas!

As for folding coro chordwise, check out the BUHOR dihedral wing build. Lot's of good photos and you'll see how I make the fold over the edge of a table. Oh yeah...and another point of interest...check out how I put the dihedral in the BUHOR dihedral wing spar...I can't believe I didn't think of that simple idea years ago
Tattoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.