Real BackYard Flyers - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2003, 06:43 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Real BackYard Flyers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am looking for ideas and suggestions. I have approx 10-15 acres of cleared farmland behind my house and I would like to work towards having something to fly out there when I can't get the time to get to the club field. I am about to be a new dad and I have a 3 year old so simetimes time is at a premium. I think I just want something that can land on it's belly? Also I have only been flying for 2 seasons so it can't be anything too advanced or I would be wasting my money. I was also thniking maybe something electric. I don't have a bucket of money to spend either so something cost effective would be great. I love this hobby and want to keep at it as long as I can so if I could sneak out back for a 15 mintues flight every now and again that would be great.

Thanks again all of your help continues to amaze me!!
Tim LeFurgey
tlefurgey is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
When I read your post Tim and what you want to fly...cheep, lands on its belly, quick to fly at a moments notice, fairily new at word came to my mind ... SPAD!

I built a whole 48" airplane, engine mount and fuel tank included for $25.00
and some spare piano wire and links sitting around my shop. And an economical Thunder Tiger 46 Pro engine and a cheepie radio and you'll never have this much fun so cheep and what a great flying plane it is.

There are several references on RCCanada to various SPAD sites where you can download the plans for free. The plane I built was a Das PlaStick and have included a pic of the finished plane. I think a SPAD would meet all your criteria and then a whole lot more!

check out
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:02 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

There's also an entire topic here just for these airplanes...just two topics above this one on the main index Thanks for spreading the word Gary! GREAT looking DPS!!!
Tattoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Back Yard

I've got a bit more than 10 acres out back.... so I levelled a strip 30' x 300' for a landing strip, and got an Airmadillo . I managed to teach my kids to fly it! If the field is pasture or grain, it's ideal for landing - just coast in, controlled crash, no damage. 30 x 300 is just big enough, certainly not too big!
We also got a couple of Fighterbirds from Great Hobbies. Fun to fly, but it's always windy here, limits times we can fly. These are V-tail, no elevator, so you can't penetrate into the wind.
If it's not too windy, they are quick to go. Get two, one for each of your kids. (For his/her 0th birthday, of course!) . (Or maybe your wife could fly too.)

The_Big_H is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

tlefurgey: A spad is also the first thing that came into my mind after reading your post. Because they are cheap, and quick to build, there is virtrually no worrying about crashing them. So you can try a bunch of crazy stuff with them, that you normally wouldnt try right away with a balsa plane. Spads are a blast!
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:51 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor

Field Flyin

I would think a HobbyZone Electric would be suitable - Commander, Aerobird

Used to do the same thing before I got into Glow.
Just forget about the included cheapo wire landing gear and you've got your answer.

- Just a suggestion.

Hope it all works out!

Chris R.
-Learn from the mistakes of others.
(You don't have enough money to make them all yourself.)
pherchris is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Well if you've been flying for 2 seasons I assume yuou can take off and land your trainer well and have probably moved on to something else. If you want a nice plane for flying in your backyard for chea get a wonder and OS 25 la. The benifit is if you decide to get into combat you also have a nice combat plane. The wonder is easy to fly although for your test flight I suggest you get someone to hand launch it for you. Great flying plane. Just needs 3 standard servos and a receiver and battery. Took me about 35 hours to build mine.

MAAC #68500-J
james is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.