Old 08-31-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8
Turbine sign waiver?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
We have a few jet modelers that will be ready next year. How do I become an official MAAC turbine waiver sign off person.

MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Good point, I am the only one in our club currently flying jets and I was thinking the same thing. What is MAAC's stand on this anyway?
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Dean Wichman is the person to talk to, as he is the Jet Committee Chair.

At this time, it's my understanding that a "waiver" is not required to fly turbine powered jets in Canada. However, if you plan to fly a turbine powered jet in the USA, you will need a "letter of proficiency" from MAAC (again, contact Dean for details.) The letter is shown to the organizers of the US event in place of the AMA waiver. Also, all AMA turbine rules must be adhered to. For example, only AMA approvied turbines can be flown, thrust to weight ratios must be as per AMA rules, etc.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:13 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
When I got into turbines last summer, I emailed Dean on many things. He is a great fellow to get the "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" from

As stated, there is NO turbine waiver here in Canada, like in the USA. It would be hoped that the MAAC member would have enough experience with "fast prop planes" and similar aircraft and would pick a suitable trainer jet. There are some other specific MAAC safety guidlines (like the mandatory CO2 fire extinguisher you must have at all times) you can get off the MAAC website.

There are some people, like Dean and Gaston Boissonneault who are able to sign your letter of profinciency if you plan to go to the USA and fly. Also, you must have an AMA approved turbine (again, any turbine that follows a modern design is legal in CANADA) to fly at an AMA field.

If you read back into some of the early posts here on RCC you will find more info...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
MAAC Letter of Proficiency

Hi Peter

Currently, only members of the MAAC Jet Committee are eligible to sign off MAAC Letters of Proficiency.

As Andrew stated, the waiver is only required if you intend to fly your turbine powered aircraft at an AMA sanctioned event in the US. Please note that in order to fly in the US, your turbine must also be AMA approved. You must also meet the thrust to weight or speed limiter requirements as stated in the AMA regulations.

Turbine waiver sign-off is a fairly simple procedure. When I review someone for sign-off, I want to see a number of things. You must demonstrate safety awareness during pre-flight, start-up and taxiing. Full control of your aircraft while in flight, including a go around attempt, simulated deadstick from altitude, landing, taxi back and shutdown. In flight, I would expect you to be able to do right and left hand circuits, flat figure eight, gear pass, deploy and retract flaps, etc.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape on the deadstick item, let me explain. I call deadstick while you are flying. I would expect you to take the plane to idle and proceed through the procedures to bring it back safety toward the field. I do not expect you to land it, just show me that you can get back toward the runway in a controlled manner. If the pilot feels he is in trouble, he can throttle up at anytime to remove any risk to the aircraft. Being able to deadstick a jet effectively is important in reducing off field landings and the potential risks posed by a turbine aircraft crashing off field.

If you have a couple of people who require sign-off, please drop me a line in advance next year and we can arrange to do the flight tests, preferably all the same day.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Ed Miedzybrocki
Great Northern Models
Your Canadian Jet Source for BVM, Festo, Fei Bao, Robart, JetCat, Jersey Modeler, Skymaster, Graupner Modelbau and more coming...!!!
rcav8tr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 10

Hi Guys

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We were out at the lake this long weekend watching the water bombers and Martin Mars do their thing on a HUGE wildfire just west of our cottage. Had a personal air show all weekend.

I do have to get my butt into gear though and send letters out to committee members to discuss the maximum speed issue and how to best address the turbine " Letter of Profiency " sign off. You are correct in how it works and every MAAC member that plans on flying down in the U.S. is required to have one. Now here is the deal....helicopter pilots need it now too so this has become more than just a " jet pilot " issue. In the meantime, in the interest of facilitating the process, it would be beneficial to have more modelers in Ontario authorizied to sign off. I will check into it this week and get back to several of you that are "active " turbine participants. BTW if any of you are planning on flying at Superman and do not yet have their LOP please do not leave it to the last minute. FEDEX / UPS overnight is expensive and guess what - over regular mail - you get the foot the bill

thanks for your patience
Dean Wichmann
MAAC Jet Committee Chair ( yet again )
Helijet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.