RC magazines... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been an avid RCM reader for about a zillion years, but I find that the same stuff is being rehashed over and over again. I still buy the occasional one for the new stuff that's always coming out-love technology!
I really like the custom publications like the AMA mag and the K-factor that deals mostly with pattern stuff, but is full of really cutting edge ideas.
The IMAC publication looks good too, since it deals with a focus group who like to push the envelope. ARF reviews are ok, but give me ideas on composite construction, linkage geometry and soft mount techniques and watch me drool
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:09 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1

Well,MAN and RCM but only if the articles and /or plans interest me.Same for the British Mags.Thinking about re subscribing to the RC REPORT as I like the no nonsence approach and honest reviews.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Gave up on MAN and RCM several years ago, shortly after subscribing to R/C Report. I also subscribe to RCJI (since issue 6) and recently subscribed to Jet Power Magazine. Had a free one year subscription to Flying Models, but did not renew as I wasn't getting that much out of it.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:58 PM   #14
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Don't subscribe too anything anymore since they stopped publishing Scale R/C Modeller. That was the best mag for scale 3-views until the last couple of years.

Older Model Builder was good for 3-views as was American Aircraft Modeller and older AeroModeller. I buy MAN, Flying Scale Models and Radioo Control Scale International on a issue by issue basis but only if more then two thiings interest me.

You can always go the "elcheapo" route and raid the library every once in a while for MAN and RCM!

Have been gettin RC Excellence as part of my Radio Control Scale Combat membership and have not been that impressed with it. Just a note to those looking at joining IMAC - on their website they have two prices for open memberships - US$20.00 gives you your membership with accesss to the members only area in which the IMAC articles or reports that are printed in the RC Excellence mafg are published in Adobe PDF format.. so there FREE. If you still want a printed copy of the magazine which does ionclude stuff like the RC Combat and Giant Scale Pylon Racing then you have to pay US$35.00 a year for membership.

One thing I do like about IMAC membership.... yearly means one year from when you join NOT on the calander year. That way you can still join now and not be ripped off with only 4 months left in the year!

Magazines are getting so expensive now. MAN is CDN $ 7.99 per issue plus GSt & PST! Thats the price of a prop!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:07 PM   #15
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17
I just recently got a sub to R/C report. I read the MAC mag of course, and I enjoy it too. I pick up a MAN or Flying Models once in a while. I enjoy Flying Models as they cover more disciplines. I hit Chapters and grab a Brit mag, they're pretty neat mags, nice to see what our fellow flyers are up to far away and often there are plans in the mag too.

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:13 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

I subscribe to RCM, MAN, RC Excellence and RC Report.

If I happen by a Magazine shop and see something I don't subscribe to, I usually pick it up too.

Which is Best, I find useful info in most of them at one time or another.

Jim Moss
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:20 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
It looks like most of you have come to the same conclusion as I did. I was looking for something different to read on the weekend and was going to go you to get a rag, but ended up looking through many of the back issues I have in the basement. I never realized I had so many!

I haven't bought any magazines in a bit, but did enjoy reading Rotary and Model Helicopter World quite a bit... maybe I'll pick up one of those...if the price is below $20!

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

I have a whole box of RC rotary modeller and MHW I dont read anymore too... I'd give em a good home if someone wants to pay the postage.

As for my airplane mags, I am at about 1400 and quickly running out of room!

Funny thing is I have read and reread so many of them, given a search for a certain article or model review, etc I can usually narrow it down to a given magazine and a year or two. Then again, I have been known to search through a pile for hours and hours untill Ifound the right article!

Oh well, I cant bring myself to get rid of any of them (except the heli mags )
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:37 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
I have stopped buying the magazines by subscription. For one they are to expensive and the other part is the advertizing. I realize they have to have advertisements but why do yoy have to pay for the tree at the same time. I now look at a mag briefly and if I like it I will buy it. Also there reviews are all the same basically. Don't tick off the manufactuer and say there is anything wrong. Most of the reviews find a little something wrong and it will be corrected. Yes they are going to look for every item that was purchased.
Yes I do go back and read some old issues. Just to see that we have came a long ways.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:56 PM   #20
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gregg L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

I subscribe to RC Report and the two Britsh scale mags,and pick up most of the others.I have been collecting mags since high school and have thousands of them now.I solved the "where is it problem" with a neat program called Organize Your Collection.It took a while to get all the back issues in a few years ago,but keeping up now is easy.Best part now is just enter canopy and all articles that mention canopy are listed with the mag the are in.Sure helps an info junkie

Started with nothing,got most of it left
MAAC 11800
Inroad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.