BP Regal Eagle F-15 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
BP Regal Eagle F-15

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well Thrust Gurus:

I've just acquired a Bob Parkinson F-15 regal Eagle with a Byron Fan and Byron / Rossi 0.81 pipe. I have an OS 91VR-DF small head on the way, with a large head ordered as well. This will be my first DF. So many questions,...where do I start.

Ok first problem,...NOOOOISE!
Will the Byron / Rossi 81 pipe be OK with the OS 91? I have never like the sound of these IC DFs (read extreme dislike) so,...next question.

Does anyone have any direct or even indirect experience with the Davis Diesel conversion on an OS 91 DF or any DF? I would like to here what the rpm and noise level results where? I understand the pros to a diesel conversion, but are there any cons. I'm also looking into the possibility of converting an OS 160FX to diesel if it's feasible. So fire away

What are the quietest options for pipes for the OS 91/ Byron combo? I would even consider going to a Ramtec fan if it has significantly quieter options available.

Next problem,...Retracts.
I'm also looking for retracts for this jet. Probably Spring Airs. I'm sure most of you fellas remember, or even own this kit, but the set-up is as follows. 53" span, 9-13lb AUW, probably 12lb finished. Nose gear is firewall mounted and forward folding, mains are flat mounted and forward folding. 3/16" struts for both, I think. Are the 107HD (nose), and 103HD (mains) a good fit?

Last problem,...Finish.
I know the Regal Eagle is a sport scale, but I have good scale references for the F-15C and E/D. Does anyone have some pointers to some good colour scheme options?

Shawn Millington
MAAC 60921
s.millington is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I am not sure what Davis heads will do on it, but I do know while I was in Germany the first time I had about six engines and they where all diesel.
The rpm on 2 of them(racing Graupners) was very high but they where also 2.5 cc(.15) engines. I had them on control line and they moved.
I would talk to Davis and see what rpm you can get before buying. Also I found with the fuel it is really oily, and it must be kept in an airtight metal container. No open lids or you lose the ether real quick.
Just some thoughts for you.
Also could I ask what you paid for the setup. Engine pipe and fan since I am about to tackle a couple of turbines.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:07 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

Hi Vulcan1:

Thanks for the reply. I paid $250 for the F-15, fan, pipe and a set of useable Goldberg mechanical retracts. The kit is the all wood version (with glass wing skins and formed parts) complete and basically "in the bones." I looked into building this kit quite some time ago, but was put off by the video I recieved and Bob himself at the time. It would have been a mistake back then anyway. The company is gone now for all intents(a shame IMHO), but this entry jet is still to be found. For now, a turbine is not in the cards for me due to their cost. They're definitely getting better, and cheaper every day it seems

I'm familiar with the diesel/ether fuel your talking about from my younger days in Wales. The ether will evaporate if stored unsealed. (Let's not mention what it does to your head, just before those C/L circles VBG).

Davis says this(his) process isn't the old European diesel, but it can't be that different. I have no idea what a DF will be like on diesel though. I have asked Davis, but thought it would be good to find real world opinions as well.

Ears open
Shawn Millington
MAAC 60921
s.millington is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.