RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 11
G38 On Coleman Fuel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here is a G38 running on Coleman Camp Fuel with a 32 to 1 oil mix using Amsoil Saber Professional. Engine is throwing an 18X8 prop. Moving the throttle around a bit to see if it hesitates or wants to stall, seems nice with very good response. Think I will pat it on the bum and call it done. I am tuning this for a friend who cannot stand the smell of gasoline. He's willing to spend the camp fuel prices who am I to question it.

Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Re: G38 On Coleman Fuel

Coleman fuel is what use to be called "white gas", it is gasoline with no additives in it. Back in the late 1940's it was the preferred fuel for model gas engines.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Jon From
Radio of choice:
Airtronics et al
# of RCs: 80+

Total Props: 5

I too, hate the smell of gasoline. I use nothing but 100LL AVGAS in my gas models, riding mower, lawn mower, weed trimmer, etc.
At $1.50/L it's not too expensive, given the amount used. A 20L Jerry can costs $30 to fill. For model engines and weed trimmer, I use Shell 2cycle oil(NOT synthetic), mixed 30:1. I've been running this mix for over 20 years with no issues, no smell, no starting problems, no bad/old gas in the spring, and no spark plug issues. I've yet to hear anyone complain about the sweet smell of AVGAS, either. I've also never had a problem getting it from airports, most fuel suppliers are quite happy to sell it to you as long as it's not going in a car or truck(for tax/liability reasons). Try it, I'm sure you'll like it.
P.S. I've been using 20X8 props on my Zenoah G-38's after break-in. Lots of pull, still great throttle response.
rcav8r71 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

Sounds like you've really got that thing tuned well!! I'm not sure
what the fuss is all about with the smell of car gas but each to their own 😀
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at www.jramericas.com
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 11

I don't know either but all things considered. An 8 oz tank ran for quite a while where a nitro motor swinging an 18X8 would have emptied the tank pretty quick. Also no smell. Since the Coleman fuel is about the same as a gallon of nitro one could look at it this way. Not as cheap as car gas but still quite a bit cheaper than glo fuel. If the smell of gas bothers you then its an alternative to going back to large thirsty glo motors. Thank goodness I don't have to resort to that with all my gas motors surly goodness and mercy it would put a pinch on my wallet.

Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17

I never have an issue with gas smell, I drain the tank, plug the lines and stick earplugs into the exhaust outlets. Seems to do the trick as the lady never complains.
Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

It's really cool Dennis but white gas definately has a smell to it. Not quite as strong as gasoline but still a fairly strong odor.
I mix it 3/1 with 70wt oil for my old ignition engines. I love the smell but then again I like the smell of gas, glow fuel and diesel.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.