what do you do for a living, what would you change? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2003, 12:18 AM   #21
Cecil Marshall
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Cecil M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Retired(3 yrs.) (Freedom 56)

36 yrs at local papermill..Abitibi to Abitibi-Price to St. Marys Paper Ltd. as a "maintenance welder" and 12 yrs. of that as a "maintenace supervisor".

Married to the same woman for 35yrs.....2 Sons - 33 and 31,the oldest an "ironworker" and the youngest a "machinist"(shift supervisor).The youngest flys rc and is on this Forum (mikeM)...3 grandchildren..1girl, 2 boys.

I have "mobile" welding truck that I use (if I feel like working, or need another "plane")
I play "lead guitar" in a local band, regularly..(supports my habit).
And did I mention I'M A MODEL AIRPLANE NUT....'Been flying rc since 74 and was into "U control" for 15 years before that...

I'm not getting "older"--I'm getting "better"

Cecil Marshall is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:35 AM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Wow, some of you guys have some pretty interesting lives!! Thats very interesting, and neat to find out.

Cecil, if I am getting better with age, then by the time I get to your age I should be pretty darn good, right?? :P hehheehhee....
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:13 AM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

I put myself through school (with some help from my parents) playing in a Rock band. By rights I'm an Electronic Engineer but the first company I worked for was having some major problems with their software (embedded controllers). I stayed late one night, and had them up and running by the time the suits showed up in the morning.... I've worked in software ever since....
I've worked for many companies as a programmer, designer etc. and these days as a Software Architect for Scotiabank for the last couple years ... I love my job, I'm an "information addict" and they provide very interesting work/play/problems (somehow it doesn't seem like work) and a lot of training. In fact, I'm typing this message from the training centre at IBM in Markham.

What would I change? Life has been good to me so far, so I'd be afraid to change anything for fear of losing what I have. Maybe I'd wish for days to be longer, there never seems to be enought time.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:22 AM   #24
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic (or what the Ministry of Transportation calls us "Aircraft Maintenance Engineer") on corporate jets. After spending a few years of ping ponging around companies, I think I may have found one that is stable enough and treats its people decent to stay with.

What would I change??? Though I love what I do, I originally got into aircraft mechanics to pay for my pilot's license. I'm so far into it that I could never afford to make the career change. Thinking back to my teen years, I shoulda spent the money on pilot's training instead of that car.
No regrets though.

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #25
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Martin

Total Props: 0

First of all, I have studied in Aeronautics fabrication technics (my goal at this time are to work at Canadair). Finaly, no job available when the school was finish... I go take my airplane private license and, finaly, I work as draftman in R&D for a sawmill equipment company (don't search any link.... )
Now, I use my knowledge in R/C, design, drafting software and aeronautic to design R/C aircraft.

My goal ? Be able to earn my life from my R/C design..

What would I change? nothing. I'm very happy like that !!!
Closterman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:29 AM   #26
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

I graduated as an copy writer for advertising, but couldn't get a job so I joined my dad in his business of acrylic fabrication. Since, then we have grown the business, my dad has retired and we are expanding our services. Basically we now produce P.O.P. (point of purchase displays). We do all the plastic parts in house. I also supply promotional items, such as pens, mugs etc...

My goal is to sell the business or walk away at 55. Then do some travelling.

I'm hitting the big 40 this year and have placed the not so subtle hints that I am expecting hummingbird for my new toy.

I have been married for 6 years and have a 3 year old daughter that loves the flying field. My wife started in the hobby, but took this year off. Hopefully, she will be back next year. (then I can get more stuff )

What I would change would be 3 day weekends and sometimes a lot less hours at work.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:03 AM   #27
RCC Apprentice

I started an apprenticeship as a plastic injection mould maker in 1978. In 3.5 yrs I finished the apprenticeship. I did this for 6 yrs before taking a job with Ford Motor Co. I now work in the tool & die trade as a machine repaireman. I've been there for 19 yrs. I love this job because of the many facets that being in the tool & die trade allows me to do. Here at Ford I can work in the lay-out lab, any of the tool rooms, Metal Pattern repaire or on the machining floors as a Machine repaireman. We repaire and maintain all the transfer lines and machining centers, trouble shoot and fix hydraulic issues, repaire presion spindles and laser align them. Any machine that drills, reams ,bores, mills, grinds or the comes into contact with any part of an engine we take care of. I've been married for 20yrs and have a son and a daughter. I'm happy so far with the way my life has been. Been flying R/C since 1990
Sunparlor R/C Flyers
Umm....Sumthin' looks funny here ??
fflyer7 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:03 PM   #28
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
I'm an R.N.. I work in a long term care facility and up until a couple of months ago I worked specificaly with alzheimers residents. I know work with M.S., Leuk eriks disease and other dibilitating diseases. I am married with 2 amazing children and if possible an even better wife. She has no intrest in flying but has never given me flack about the sport and thinks there are worse things in the world I could be doing. AND I"M NOT GAY. Just smart! Out of 100 students in my class I was the only guy. . Girls/Nurses night out always included Dave. Braging? well maybe just allittle
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #29
RCC Junior Contributor

Retired and happy

Sold my mini brewery 7 years ago, and now winter at Ocala Florida, and my summers at Whiskey Harbour on Lake Huron on the Bruce Peninsula.
Life is good, and so are S.P.A.D.S
Chief Test Pilot for
Barca Loungers
bootlegr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:21 PM   #30
RCC Apprentice

Full time corporate pilot, Full time University student, Full time father of two, and part-time co-owner of a web-based hobby business....i'm too busy to think about what I'd change.
JOHN@SQUADRON55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.