Hobby King Orange Receivers - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5
Hobby King Orange Receivers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Out flying last week at the field, one of our pilots was flying his four star .60 a beautiful plane . He is an experienced pilot was flying right across the field when he yelled out he had no control of course the plane crashed without any issues of injury or damage to property.Fortunately as the plane then flew over the spectator area where some of us were. the batteries were charged right before coming to the field, batteries were checked Rx and Tx packs all were good. I asked if he was using hobby king Rxs he said yes there's your problem I said . He said that is the second plane he has crashed using the hobby king orange Rxs. Guess what he says he's not using them anymore. 2 weeks before that another guy in the club using the same Rxs had interference as well. For $40.00 more could have had an authentic Spektrum Rx and could have saved $700.00 you do the math. If you pay cheap you get cheap in most cases. I'm not willing to put safety at risk to save a few dollars. And not willing to crash one of my birds and lose hundreds of dollars for cheap knock offs.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1

Last edited by fsone; 08-04-2015 at 12:55 PM.
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Keith M

Total Props: 2
Re: Hobby King Orange Receivers

You get what you pay for. Can't figure out why people will spend any amount of money on the airframe, motor and servos and then cheap out on one of the most important parts of the aircraft, the rx. Give your heads a shake people.
kwm is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I know a lot of people that swear by the HK RX's and curse the spektrums.

I use both and can say that I have had several (count 4 so far) Spektrums fail, and so far only one orange failed.

I also have witnessed many so called "Interference" crashes that were caused by improper placement of the receiver antenna in position where the antenna signal is blocked by a large metal object, like the engine or battery. Then the plane crashes and the guys blame the RX when in fact they did a lousy installation. In some cases, a poor placement of the RX passes range check when on the ground (say its sitting on top of a battery) because the signal comes down from above when range checking and plane is on the grass. But in the air, the radio signal is going UP to the plane, and the battery blocks the antenna.....
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

I agree completely with Max. We have a few people here who use nothing but Orange and are happy. One of them wasn't happy a year ago when an ESC acted up but found out the problem and quit blaming Orange.
Just a week or so ago, control was lost on a trainer with Spektrum and initial blame was on Spektrum but the student member realized after recovering the model a few days later that the battery was still basically full. He remembered the switch was a little sticky and had to be convinced to go on. Guess what vibrated during the flight and shut things down!
We had a gas engine quit while checking out a model and later found the 6.6V LIFE was at 3+volts so in the end the blame of a crappy engine became,,,,we should charge the flight battery and maybe the optokill won't shut the engine off.
All sort of reasons for things to go wrong.
You know I love some of the comments about Horizon service and how good it is. I have had to use Futaba service once and Hitec service once. Now that's what I call good service!
Everybody is entitled to an opinion but we have little scientific evidence to support our opinions in modelling.

Also one other thing I have learned in my 67 years is you don't always get what you pay for. There are lots of examples of overpaying for no reason. The CA glue from HK is BSI and doesn't get rock hard in a week like some did from my LHS. I can pay 360 for something at Great Hobbies or 200US at Tower as an example/ Sometimes the other way around. I just got a Taranis Plus for 200CDN versus the last one I got for 320 plus tax.

Last edited by 4*60; 08-05-2015 at 03:10 AM.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

I have about 25 rcvrs split between Orange and Lemon and havn't had one fail yet. As said above it's usually some other fault. For instance, I had a plane shut off completely in the air. When I got to it, everything was working fine. Of course I blamed the rcvr right off the bat. Took it home for some testing and, while wiggling the sticks in a circular direction to load the servos, everything shut off cold. About 8 seconds later, it turned back on. The result was, as some of you may have guessed, was the ESC overheating and shut down to protect itself. I put an ESC with a higher amp rating for the servos and everything was cool.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
FD av8r
RCC Contributor
I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 6

I am interested to follow this thread as I plan to buy 2 orange FAAST rx for my foamies to free up the $80 7ch Futaba OEM rx's for large gas planes. Yes it's possibly a risk but so is everything in our hobby. I once bought all my lipo's from my LHS....now I will never overpay from them again.
Dreaming of next summer.....
FD av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Daniel H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 2

I have LemonRc RX in my Lt-40.....well still building it....but so far I have not had any issues. I went through the binding process one, took 2 seconds to bind to my DX6i.

No signal loss yet but I am in my basement working with my tx about 5ft away from the receiver....but everytime I power on the bind is there...
habs992000 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: jamie

Total Props: 3

No problem with the Orange Rx receivers. I have had them for the last 5 yrs and found them to be better in terms of range than the Spektrums . each to their own I guess though. sorry to hear the loss of the plane and glad there was no one hurt.
heman37 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 3

My field has power lines running across the back, with orange receivers, you get to close you can watch your plane fly away. Has happened a number of times...

I have a couple, not in planes or heli's, have a test one, after 3 months of very little use I had to start binding it every time I turned it on. It won't save my bind info anymore...
MSH Protos V2 700, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 380, T-Rex 250 Pro, Blade 180CFX, mCPX BL, nano CP S, F-16, 3DHS Edge 540, Spitfire Mk IX, 540QQ, F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: P P

Total Props: 1

I've been using them since they came out and haven't had the slightest glitch. Full range with satellites on nitro and $6 cheapy's on electrics, not a glitch on either.
bugsmasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.