Hobby King Orange Receivers - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 10-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #21
Midair
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Re: Hobby King Orange Receivers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Wow, I'm surprised by some of the stories related on this thread. At the onset, I'd like to be clear that in this post I am in no way bashing any manufacturers product, or trying to disparage any modeller's choice of equipment.

With the closing of this season's flying, I have been an active and prolific R/C aircraft modeller for 37 years. In those 37 years I have used only one manufactures radio (Tx and Rx) equipment, with the exception that I fly 2.4 GHz Assan receivers in my indoor 3D foamys. I have never, and I mean never, had a receiver failure. One respondent on this thread admits that he's had four Spektrum and one Orange receiver failures. Incredible. Why would anyone use equipment that could be unreliable, even if some have had "good luck" with their equipment? The TX/RX are the weak link (no pun) in the system, so why would anyone cheap out these critical components? Often, the receiver is the least expensive component in the R/C system (servos excepted), so why not simply purchase proven reliability and quality?

I've never had a receiver issue. Perhaps I've been lucky? Or, I follow sound and proven building and installation practices? Or, perhaps quality equipment is more reliable. But, the bottom line is that I won't use any system on which I can't rely. When problems occur, the loss of an aircraft is the best outcome; accidentally hit someone and...

My thoughts.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #22
FazFly
RCC Apprentice

I am: JoeF

Total Props: 0

I use orange rx's and they work great for me, their small size make installing them in my foamies a breeze. Sorry to hear about the loss
FazFly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #23
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 20

Yes , some of us work on luck and others work on using quality instead. It has never ever failed me. If and when it is necessary to have something fixed it is nice to be able to have that support available in NA. So often I have seen were users crash airplanes , could be fixable in some cases , others not , and then they have to replace that radio component or at the least send it away for fixing, not take into account the cost of mailing it off with sometimes prepaid on the return and other times have to have to pay for the return shipping. Now the money saved is not really saved.

I see this over and over again and some users think nothing of it with the belief that this is normal . Sorry, not for me as I try and look at the bigger picture and inconvenience .

My last radio I had used and still use; has never, ever, lost an aircraft because of the system. Have had to do minor repairs but only due to dumb thumbs, twice over 7 years. The only thing missing was telemetry for turbine aircraft I felt that needed it. I did not replace it but added another quality system with more telemetry options and the ability to add more in the future as they are developed. Was not an inexpensive move but much less than other brands with less programing ; at the moment; and for less money.

The other thing that is happening is that there is a proliferation of radio equipment arriving from offshore and being used that is not FCC or IC ( industry Canada) approved . It may well work within it's self but may also cause interference with other rc equipment out there.

How would you feel if you were responsible in shooting down a friends ;$500 or more; airplane. Or if it was proven that you were responsible for a human injury because of using non IC approved equipment then you may be out MAAC insurance and liable . It's all in the MAAC safety program the same as doing range checks and setting fail-safe.

All IC approved equipment will have a sticker on the transmitter or in the case of a module will have a sticker on the module and telemetry capable receivers must also be IC approved as they are a mini transmitter with telemetry back to the transmitter as well. There will be those that may poo poo this ; then my statement to them would be that they are not responsible flyers .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #24
lanceredbourne
RCC Noob

I am: Lance Redbourne
Radio of choice:
Futaba 6EX 2.4
# of RCs: 12

I have quite a few orange Rxs, no failures, also a Futaba FAAST radio with both Futaba and Orange Rxs, no failures, what did fail was the Orange Tx module in my 9XR. It did xmit, but only out to 25 meters or so. And it wasn't in range test mode. Replaced it and so far no issues.
Lance
lanceredbourne is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #25
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

And you have no qualms using non IC approved transmitter modules in your radios
Old 02-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #26
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 6

From what I've read online, most crashes using 2.4 Receivers have mostly been related to being not installed properly, or batteries not up to par. 2.4 is still new and lots of people need to learn all the info they can. I've had glitches consistently using the GWS 4 & 6 channel 72mhz single conversion receivers in my Park Flyers. I switched to the HobbyKing dual conversion synthesized mini receivers and my glitches are all gone. When I buy something from HobbyKing I always search the reviews. Cheers floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #27
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Not really a fair comparison between a single and dual conversion. For sure the dual conversion will supress interference twice as good as single. Now if someone not in the know had read that comparison and not had knowledge between a single and a dual conversion receiver ;he would then take it the one brand is superior to the other.

Agreed, installation , power source are two important aspects. Also the minimum voltage threshold that a receiver will stay linked is an important feature plus the time it takes to relink with some being unacceptable..... too long. There is one brand of receive that stays linked down to 2 volts but most servos will not work down to that voltage. There again is an important thing also; at what voltage does a specific servo or brand of servos stop working ? AND if it stops with the control at a wrong angle.... result is a crash.

I have seen lots of incorrect information being given out over the years on lots of different forums ie RCCanada , RCGroups and RCuniverse just for three. When I search for information I try and get 5 or 6 opinions and from that decide which is more plausible .

Last edited by stegl; 02-15-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #28
DannoH
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dan H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 8

I have an Orange rx, 6ch (no sat). I probably have 50 flights on it in a Flyzone Beaver, not sure I would use it in a glow model (yes it's worth the extra $40-50 for a Spektrum Rx). I have also been "stuck" with 2 knock off SpeKtrum Rx from sales here on RCCanada (they were advertised as Spectrum RX). Lost 1 plane flying with the knock off (Was a loss of signal on approach) - Will not try that again!

The sad thing is I have experienced the same with a genuine Spektrum RX...
DannoH is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #29
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Sorry to hear that you had issues. There are choices out there that will never let you down but that would involve a brand change . Nice thing is you don't have to worry about knockoffs or copies because the Chinese can't break or haven't broken their code and made copies. Gives that person a warm fuzzy feeling and the only thing to go wrong are dumb thumbs.
Might mention that the "other brand" is probably less expensive that what you are currently using. PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #30
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midair View Post
One respondent on this thread admits that he's had four Spektrum and one Orange receiver failures. Incredible. Why would anyone use equipment that could be unreliable, even if some have had "good luck" with their equipment?
You are assuming in-flight failures. Ya. That would be bad.
But I will set the record straight from my personal experience and clarify the "failures" i have experienced
  1. One failed a range check (Spektrum) In fairness it was a 3 year old RX and has been in many planes and was long in the tooth.
  2. One would not bind when I swapped planes and would not ever go into bind mode ever again (Orange)
  3. Two kept losing the bind and I would have to continually rebind the RX's (Both Spektrum AR7000's) - I finally got fed-up and swapped it for an orange RX and never had a problem since.

In summary, all were caught on the ground. I would dare say I never had one fail and cause a crash in flight.

I hope this clarifies the failures and the "risk" as you put it.

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.