GMS engines - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
GMS engines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There have been a number of posts about GMS engines not shutting off at full off throttle. Lots of air leaks it seems. Was thinking of buying one but am a bit cautious. Have these problems been solved with the latest batch of engines sold? I know of all the fixes, just want to avoid the necessity of fixing an engine fresh out of the box.
KonTiki is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I wouldn't be to upset if my engine didn't shut off at full throtle . Now when I closed the carb to kill the engine and it kept running I might get a bit annoyed . I read about this problem but it only occurs on some of the engines. An easy fix is to replace the carb if your engine has this problem. I heard one of the OS carbs is a good fit but I can't remember which one. I haven't owned one of these engines and only know of one person with one but he was happy with the engine when he put the OS carb on it.

MAAC #68500-J
james is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Well, I did say full OFF throttle. But, that might have been easy to miss, worded badly obviously. You say an easy fix is to install another throttle? Well, that's kind of what I'm trying to avoid,,, either an easy but expensive fix or a cheap fix that's mickey mouse. Somehow, it seems to me that you shouldn't have to fix something that you just bought brand new.

I've been told that they're real snorting powerhouses and well made but was hoping to avoid problems with the carb at the outset.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

I have 2 of the .47's. Only one does not like to shut off. Alot of power though!
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:57 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

I have a friend (you out there Divit??) who has a 47 gms and it doesn't want to shut off either. He's done some research and found it is the front bearing. Somthing about rtv sealent to fix this problem. Not to sure,, but if you want my 2 cents, buy an OS four stroke!!
Busy is defined as your wife won't let you come out to play!!

Take the Dog approach

If you can't eat it or hump it,
P*ss on it and walk away
JamesP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:05 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice

I'd agree with you except that it's a question of money. That's why I'm even considering the GMS. I know it's Chinese and political correctness aside, it's the least expensive engine out there that is supposed to be well made and deliver exceptional power.

It appears that I'll just have to take my chances. Hopefully it's not a bearing issue.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
R Plante
RCC Contributor
I am: Randy P

Total Props: 2

The fix on the 2 in our club was in the bolt that holds the carb in place. Most of the engines have the bolt in so that when you tighten the bolt it lifts the carb off of the o ring and it leaks air and won't shut off. Simply remove the bolt and insert it from the other side and it should cure the problem.

As a note the engine is a reliable, easy starting, good power engine but it seems to lack the fuel draw capabilities of an OS or other brand name engine .It is possible to starve out the engine in high g manuevers . I found I had to set mine on the verge of being rich on the ground to minimize this in the air. It would be great on a trainer scale etc but on an extreme fun fly type I would go to a better brand of engine.

Just my 2 cents
R Plante is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:34 PM   #8
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Whats the difference in price between a GMS 47 and a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro?

I always thought for the money a thunder tiger was an excellent buy! I've never heard of these kinds of problem with the TT pro.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice

The GMS has appeal because from Mecoa, they'll give you a 20 dollar rebate if you send in an old engine. Yes, take off 5 to 7 bucks for shipping but every little bit helps.

Well, R Plante. That's good news if the fix is that simple. Many thanks. I've read about smearing a layer of silicone over everything, or so it seems. Also, thanks for the tips. I've read that the barrel has an unusually large bore so that may be the issue there.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:51 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
Just spend the extra dollars for the TT46 Pro you won't be sorry.

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.