Balancing the large planes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
Don H
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Balancing the large planes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can anyone shed some light on any pictures of jigs or fixtures that they use to balance large giant scale airplanes? I have two large biplanes that I need to check the C of G on, and am curious just what some of you are using to do this.

I would like to use this same setup for both biplanes and momoplanes as I have some large mono's to balance as well.

Thanks guys
Don H.
MAAC# - 47196

Burlington, ON
Don H is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Funny you should ask . .I have spent the evening building a jig that will handle up to 50# planes including twins and bipes. It was featured in RCM two or three issues ago and may be available on the web.If not ill photo mine and post it here soon......this jig will balance both fore and aft and side to side......and is cheap and easy to make.........
IMAA 27023
IMAC 3710
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Looking forward to that, Kevin! I'm in need of something to balance my big ones as well.

JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
Don H
RCC Apprentice

Kevin...that would be excellent if you could do that. I will wait and hold off buying any supplies to try and piece together something on my own.

Sounds like it is a handy piece of kit then if it will handle up to 50# and balance for and aft, just what I'm looking for.

Thanks for teh replies gents...

Don H.
MAAC# - 47196

Burlington, ON
Old 10-05-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Don H
RCC Apprentice

Well I have come up with a design for balancing large biplanes that I think will be useful. I will post pics of this as I make the jig.

Looks like a second piece can be adapted for use in balancing monoplanes as well. Someone answered my request in another forum from the US that suggested using Pro-Balance legs from a manufacturer, this would have been fine except that it was only good for monoplanes and could not be used for bipes.

I will also mention about using laser levels for getting exact levelness in my posts once I get it all together. I use two of them, one for the horizontal and one for the vertical strapped to a tripod. It works really well.

Thanks gents, talk soon....Don
Don H.
MAAC# - 47196

Burlington, ON
Old 10-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17
Here is a simple method for balancing your airplane without any fancy equipment:
1. Either on the top, or bottom of the wing, near the fuse, take a scale and measure from a convenient point on the leading edge to the preferred C.G., e.g., 3�. Then mark, in 1/8� increments on both sides of the mark, i.e., 2 �, 2 7/8, 3.0, 3 1/8, 3 �, �.. These will be just dots on the wing. Mark both sides of the wing in exactly the same way.
2. Get two wide blade screwdrivers, or bladed pencil erasers, etc. I just use two large , long bladed screwdrivers.
3. Lay the wing across the arms of two armchairs, garbage cans, etc. that are high enough to crawl under. I use two lawn chairs.
4. Lying between the chairs, and under the airplane, place the blades of the screwdrivers on your mark. (the blades run along the span, not from front to back) Gently lift up. If the airplane rotates tailheavy, move to the next mark back and pick up again. Do this until the airplane rotates tailheavy on one mark and noseheavy on the next one. You now know that the balance is between these two points.
5. Generally this is close enough. If you want it closer, then move the blades between the two marks until the airplane balances.
6. If you are out at the field, someone can hold the airplane for you while you move the blades back and forth. (out of the wind!!) If they gently turn the airplane loose and it rotates so quickly that the spinner stabs you in the chest, then the airplane is too nose heavy. File a claim with MAAC and move your battery back.
The beauty of this technique is that you never really have to balance the airplane. Just move it back and forth until it changes direction. It works like a beam balance and it�s fast and very accurate. Almost everyone who has seen this for the first time has laughed�then they start doing it.
One last thing: Make sure you balance the same way every time. Use a propeller, empty the tank and make sure you have everything installed in the airplane. Keep notes so that you can make your next airplane the same.

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #7
Peter Gordon
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: peter g

CG machine

Bob Hudson has a fantastic jig to balance the biggies

...then go to "Part 16, Centre of Gravity Jig"

Basically, you make a fake rib to fit over the wing tube and one (or both) anti-rotation pins. Then you drill the fake rib at the specified CG, and insert a blind nut. Assemble the plane and sandwich the fake rib inbetween the fuse and the wing. My description doesn't do it justice. Just check out Bobs site...

Peter Gordon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor

bad link

the url is not found....
eagle2flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:01 PM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Balancing the big birds

Try this link instead
Part 20 .......Centre of Gravity Jig
phattires is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
If you send me a fax number, I'll fax you some simple plans that were copied on 8.5X11. It was published years ago in one of the mags. It consists of either blind cord or light rope, a couple pulleys and a plumb line. You actually suspend your plane from the ceiling and put it in a level attitude ( or whatever attitude you want it balanced) and the plumb will point to the existing CG.

From that point you either add weight to the nose or the tail and the CG will move accordingly.

I have balanced 10 oz electric park flyers, high and low wing sport planes from 4.5 lbs up to 14 lbs and the planes have always been perfect off the mark. I just finished my first Bipe and balanced it the same way.

A guy in my club turned me on to this a few years ago. He has never had it fail either.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.