RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Fox 22
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Does anyone fly a FUNTANA

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am looking for a good 3D plane, and I'm considering one called the Funtana. Hangar 9 makes a .40 ARF, and Desert Aircraft makes a "larger" one. Does anyone have one of these planes? If so, How does it fly? Any bad characteristics (other than the ones a 3D plane is supposed to have)?

Also, does anyone know if you can get one in kit form (.40 size), or ARC?
I don't know what we're YELLING ABOUT! ......... LOUD NOISES ! ! !
Fox 22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Scott

Have you considered the UCanDo plane. I have seen it fly at our field by one of the owners of the LHS. It was quite impressive. Slow flying tail drags, hover, knife edges. It is on my long list of planes to get.
I never crash...I land with style!

Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:37 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

If your interested, a couple pics of funtana flying can be found here: . I think this guy might have it a bit over powered, its only a saito 100.
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wiliam m

get a 60 size U-can-do and throw a saito 100 in it and youl have a good 3d machine
you could hover all day at 1/2 throttle
Curtis Moar
Scale Aerobatics
wingnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
Fox 22
RCC Junior Contributor

My only problem, is i'm on a tight budget, and I already have a 46FX (with tuned pipe) and radio, from a recently "rekitted" Funtiger (so the .60 UCD3D is out). I spoke to a few people about the U Can Do 3D .40 vs Funtana .40, and their opinion was that they are both very comperable airplanes. I just haven't heard very much feedback on the funtana, so I'm at a loss when comparing the two.
I don't know what we're YELLING ABOUT! ......... LOUD NOISES ! ! !
Fox 22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I have seen the Funtana in the Great Hobbies sales flyer. It does look sweet doesnt it?

I'd give it a try, it looks promising.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I have seen the 2 meter version sold by Desert fly a couple of times, its basically a big fun-fly type model. Seems to fly quite well, but its very hard to really judge performance unless you can fly it yourself, plus when its Sebastiano Silvestri flying it......its going to look like it flies well

I have yet you see the smaller Hanger 9 one fly yet, but there has been a lot of talk about them on RCU, its probably worth checking out there.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor

its a really nice flying plane, one guy up here has one. the only thing wrong with it it\s something called "cap snap" .. im pretty sure thats what its called. in a high G pull it snaps to the left or the right .
JASON ABBOTT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor

A while back I was looking at the Funtana too (a friend of mine flies a U-Can Do) and here is what I found out. Although it is marketed as a 46 size plane, it really isn't. With a strong 46 it will be a really nice flying, very aerobatic sport plane. For any kind of 3D flying it needs more. A 46 2 stoke just doesn't have enough thrust to give this plane any authority. It might hold a hover if it is kept light enough but wont have much to pull out with and certainly won't have enough to bail out of trouble with. (and if you're learning 3D, you will get into trouble). Also, there is alot more to 3D than hovering. You will want more power to weight than you would have with this combination. (BTW, I'm in no way suggesting that anyone should overpower this plane either. That's a big mistake as well) The above also applies to the U-Can Do 46. GP recommends a 70/72 4S for it for good reason. Even though the BHP is similar to a 46 2S they have more torque so you can turn a bigger prop (especially in the low pitch range) and then you have more than enough thrust.

Have you thought about a profile? (Morris Knife, Top Cap, Sudokoi, Goldberg Extreme 330, etc.) All of these are available as arfs but if you don't mind building there are even more great choices. At roughly half the price, they are lighter, slightly more durable, much simpler to repair and set up, use standard radio gear (no high torque servos and such needed) and have top notch performance on a 46 sized 2 stroke (especially with a pipe). Someone always says they are ugly but IMO for 3D and just having a blast at the field they have no equal in this size range.

Here's one that I scratch built. It is similar to an OMP Edge with a bit of Morris Sledge mixed in.

This thing is a blast to fly, weighs a little over 4 lbs, has loads of "bail out" power with a GMS 47, no coupling or bad habits, and far excedes my capabilities in 3D flying. And I don't honestly think it looks that bad.

I'd look into it if you're on a budget and really want a capable 3D plane for your 46.

For an example of what one of these little machines is capable of in the right hands take a look at this video of a OMP Edge in action (right click and save target as)

Careful though, Profiles are addictive!

If you don't have time to do it right this time, how are you going to have time to do it again?
cplant is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #10
RCC Apprentice

watch your power!!

Although the UCD says 46, it will only fly on this. Whenever you power your plane, you should always stick to the top of your power rating. I have the UCD 46 and run a OS 70 4s in it. I would not want to try to 3D it with any less than this motor. I agree with Colin. Get yourself a profile (silloutte ,, as I call them ) and learn 3D. Colin's plane looks very good in the air and, by watching him get in and out of trouble, more than once, I would say he has more than enough power to 3D.
Busy is defined as your wife won't let you come out to play!!

Take the Dog approach

If you can't eat it or hump it,
P*ss on it and walk away
JamesP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.