Is it really build season already ?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm a warm weather flier. I used to fly in the winter. We lived in Manitouwadge, north of north. Coldest day we flew was -34 C. That's snappin cold baby, freeze the nose hair weather. Had to stick the Saito up the tail pipe to coax it to run. Now I hide in the warmth of my shop. I think winter flying for me would be electric indoor. Looks like fun. Although we do brave the cold and get together on New years day for a ff. We flew from Brian's barn back door, we had coffee and breakfast too! ANy New Years fliers out there?

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:42 PM   #12
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jan B

Total Props: 0
I think many X-tals have a temp rating , also flew a glider once in -25C nice and calm. The 2nd flite the hi-start froze in the elongated mode which was just as well because the radio system shut down. I dont know if the servo's froze stiff or the xtal but I have flown OK in -18C. it was funny watching the hi-start warm up sounded like a snake as it twisted back and shrunk about 50'..
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:55 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Actually Derrick had some troubles with a receiver and JR advised him that the temp was below the recommended temp.

The biggest prob we've had is that the cold makes the monocote brittle and the batteries last only one or two flights. Heck it's still a day out of hte house

All that aside, I just can't get the thought of Andrew, immersed in a vat of beans,out of my head. You northern lads sure have some strange traditions
Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:03 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Ha ha ha Nuker, I only said that as a joke because Ian Gunn said that some of the guys bring hot beans or stew to their field when they winter fly.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:59 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

When you are flying club 20 say Hi to the boys for me. Might get around this winter to watch. I raced for a few years that class. Lots of fun and wear warm boots. I found my feet got damp and then froze.
For all you guys out there we can fly quite a bit in the winter. We have Chinooks in the southern part. Go to bed at night at -20 and wake up to water running and a SW breeze and the temp in the + category.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:07 AM   #16
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

I had one flight last winter,, and the year before I had one flight also

Last year I was at SJ house and flew on his Sim last year
Year before I was at BobH house flying on his Sim

Nice and Warm also

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:15 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Ever since I got my heli downwind ... and the hands were freezing .. and it was taking forever to get back upwind ... and I was considering ditching before frostbite set in... I'm not a cold weather flier.

I know it's building season when the workshop begins to look like this;
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #18
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Cold weather

I think i probably flew my heli at least once a week last winter. A lot easier than going to the airfield cause I start it in the house then it's out the basement patio door to my backyard/field! Cold really effects my hands big time and it seems to take a looooongggg time before I can use use them 100% after they have been chilled. If it wasn't for that I would probably fly more often in the winter.
Yes it seems like the building season has arrived early for me as well. In between working on the house (which never seems to end) I have been finding some time to start my winter projects already! Almost looking forward to the building season this winter!

Somewhere in this mess are my two major projects......
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:09 AM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Last new year I had a couple of flights with my cub on skis. I figured
I could handle a couple of minutes of cold with no mitts, so away I went.
After flying about 5 min, I realized that my hands were completely numb, and I had better get it down right away!
Well, oops! The idle somehow was very high, and with the skis on the snow, the best I could do was a vveeerry long touch and go. The plane would not stop, and I had no choice but to take off again at the far end of the field.
After about 5 min of this, and figuring I still had about a 1/2 tank of fuel left, and my fingers completely numb, I had to do something!
I took a quick look around the field, and saw the only place where there was a bit of a pile of snow, and I again touched down. The plane passed me at about 20km/hr, and finally with full down elevator. I got the prop to hit the snowbank and stop the engine. As soon as the plane stopped moving, I made a dash for my car and cranked the heat. It took the rest of the day for my fingers to thaw out.
I did not fly any more that winter!

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:36 PM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

News Year Day is about the only day I fly in the winter anymore, unless I have a special project I can't wait to fly!

I had 6 flights NYD, 2 at the Whitby Club 10 am start, 2 at the Ajax Club 12 noon start and 2 at the Port Perry Float Flyers Club 1 pm start I was late for that one.

It was so cold that I couldn't run the engine full speed ar the engine would quit, only thing I could figure is the plug was getting to cold.

I'm starting to thaw out now.

Jim Moss
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.