MAAC Training guide vis a vis instructors - thoughts? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Chad now you are asking for trouble... I tried to teach my girlfriend how to drive... Yikes!

Nuker, your 10 points couldnt be more true in my opinion. This is HARD to test for and enforce. Mainly since the established instructors are there in the first place, even if they are not really capable, and who is going to test them?

Like I said, I can give an example - one of our instructors continually sets the engine on the trainer way too rich, barely taking off. And I have seen him fly over the flightline on take off WAY too many times to remember. Yet he has taught a number of people to fly. I would like to see a bit more training for some of the trainers....

I have also seen pilots being "held back" by an instructor who IMO maybe didnt want the student to progress too quickly, allthough the student was basically flying circles around the instructor when they went at it alone.

Teaching and being a good teacher is hard indeed.

And what about the "instructor" that can fly the pattern but makes one heck of a poor teacher? That isnt safe either.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:24 PM   #22
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Andrew, your right on! Thats what I was trying to say about some instructors being so ---- that they actually hold back a good student who would otherwise progress quickly.

I am pleased to say, that although I have only been a member of the club I newly joined, that we have a great chief flying instructor who is a very capable pilot and an excellent teacher. It is his job to put qualified pilots in the position of being instructors. And from what I have observed so far, ALL students are in very capable hands with any instructor in our club. There may be some who don't know what a Humpty Bump or an Avalanch is but they are good pilots and instructors. We are very blessed that way!

But its like any job even if its avoluntary position, If your going to do a job then do the best that you can. Which again in my opinion means that its the responsibility of all insturctors to keep themselves up to date and always mindful of procedures and safety concerns. Goodness know, as an instructor that I sometimes in my haste fail to do a certain thing right and if it needs to be pointed out then thats everyone's responsibility and so it should be! I would dare say to a man or woman at our club, we go there to enjoy our hobby and fly, to have a good time doing what we love to do as well as the wholesome association with our friends. No one wants to be bogged down with needless rules and regulations which only dampens our reasons for being there. But that doesn't excuse anyone, students, pilots and instructors to be careless or knowlingly reckless with the established club rules. I don't think any of us can push or talk safety too much!

Its already been mentioned many times in this thread.....the ability to do aerobatics doesn't necessarily make a good insturctor and a good instructor doesn't have to be an aerobatic wizz to be a great teacher.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.