Winter time spad flying? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
S.P.A.D.s Discuss SPADS

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:58 PM   #11
bmwkadet

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldoer
Recon: that pic just adds to the mystique of canadians hardened by the cold..apparently we can go out in t-shirts during winter time and not feel a thing.
I know from experience too. Middle of winter, -40 degrees, and I go out to quickly lock the garage without a coat. If the run to the garage wasn't bad enough, the door handle freezing was. I rang the doorbell about 20 times and my dad took his time coming to the door. Talk about cold!!!!

Speaking of flying the deb in the winter, I just flew mine last week. It was only a few degrees below zero, but I saw no problems with the coro or drainpipe.
bmwkadet is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #12
britbrat

Coro will crack too. My Blue Movie SPAD broke in half right behind the wing saddle (after an inverted landing).
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #13
MalhamCove

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbrat
Coro will crack too. My Blue Movie SPAD broke in half right behind the wing saddle (after an inverted landing).
Can you please tell me where I can get plans for the Blue Movie 2
Thanks
MalhamCove is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 AM   #14
britbrat

OK -- I'll get back to you. It is a Peter Miller design & one of the first SPAD-types. He lives in England & is still designing models. We have modified it considerably, so if you do it ,you will need some input from me, or one of my Blue Movie buddies.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #15
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
Maybe it's just the way I land but I found that using a coro fuse (instead of the pvc pipe) it tended to "bow" just in front of the gear (weight of the engine I guess) after many landings it looks like the front end of the concorde when parked. straight from gear back but bent nose from gear forward. A little elevator trim fixed the flying part--still flew nice but it did bend down over time
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #16
britbrat

The front end of the Blue Movie is doubled internally with coro & also supported by extensions of the engine bearers. -- no droop.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:04 PM   #17
britbrat

The Blue Movie is heavily reinforced in the forward fuse & doesn't sag.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #18
MalhamCove

Thanks Britbrat I appreciate your help.

Yes I knew it was a Pete Miller design. Forget now just what site on the Net I saw it.
I have the plans for a Pete Miller design - Moondancer25. Got them a couple of months ago. I saw the design in Oct.96 Radio Modeller whilst in the UK.

Had an idea. If you're willing to part with your Blue Movie 2 plans temporarily and can mail them to me, I can quickly duplicate them as I live downtown Toronto near a Kinkos outlet who can do the job in 20 seconds. I'll chuck in a copy of the Moondancer + magazine article and ship the lot back to you for your effort. Your call either way.
Drop me an e-mail if you like and we can sort out address.

Oh, what size motor for the Blue Movie? Hope its a 25

Again, thanks for your help.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:31 PM   #19
britbrat

The Blue Movie plans belong to a friend & we will both be away for 2 weeks, so unfortunately you will have to wait for a little bit. The plans aren't in great shape.

Interestingly, we have a Moondancer in our club, but I doubt if the plans still exist here.

The original Blue Movie 2 was OK, but not a hot performer on a .25, but that was many years ago. A modern .25 hot rod motor would probably be fine. Peter got much better performance from a .32 at that time (early '90s). We use .40s or .46s in our Blue Movies. Our fuselages have been narrowed & the wingspan increased to ~ 50" from the original 40". We have also cleaned up the noses, but no other changes. They really work well -- fast, very aerobatic & really tough. I have even made a set of trainer wings (with dihedral) for teaching & the plane can be flow by a beginner in that configuration.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #20
MalhamCove

Many thanks for all your info britbrat re the Blue Movie 2.

Enjoy your 2 week trip. Talk later.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in