Flying wires help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Terry B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Flying wires help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looking for some help with flying wires on a 35 cc gas engine, scratch built Ryan's Rebel. The tail surfaces are braced by four wires, I initially used Sullivan rigging brackets, 4-40 steel rod with one soldered clevis and one threaded clevis, After breaking two of the rigging brackets I beefed those up with heavier material but now I have broken one of the soldered clevises (next weakest link I guess). One of the guys at the field suggested using a nylon clevis at one end, the idea being that the nylon would provide a touch of flexibility but I'm a bit skeptical that they will hold up.

My purpose in this thread is to get a feel what others have used with success.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure others have had this problem and solved it eons ago, Other than this issue I love this airframe as a first venture into the gas world - just another dead reliable honest stick type aircraft.
tkbig is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Jon From
Radio of choice:
Airtronics et al
# of RCs: 80+

Total Props: 5
Re: Flying wires help

Terry, I've been doing flying wires the same way you did, for many years. I too have had failures like you describe. The way I fixed the problem was to balance the prop carefully, and if possible, soft mount the engine. A lot of airplanes, model and full size, shake their tails like a dog at idle. Also, vibration travels along the length of the fuselage and seems to increase intensity at the end, probably due to lighter construction in the typical tail section.
I hope this helps, Jon
rcav8r71 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Sukhoi 68
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Scott Crosby
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C 2.4
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Try the Dubro 1/4 scale strut attachments. Use blue Loctite on the little screws.

33%B-USA Fokker DVII/DLE85, 33% Deitchman Fokker EII/DLE111, 33% Weiss Fokker DR1/3W75, 33% B-USA Fokker Dr1/3W75 25% Cleveland Gotha G.V
MAAC# 23964 IMAC#5291, Fort Saskatchewan R/C Flyers Club, ERCS
MAAC Scale Committee
MAAC AZD Alberta
NWSAM Alberta Rep.

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 7

I have, in the past, used weed eater line crimped into electrical eye fittings with a touch of ca. The line also comes in different thicknesses and colours.

Vibrations are absorbed by the more broken fittings.

Dave Collis
Pitt Meadows B.C.
maac 37241
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
RCC Noob
I am: Terry B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the replies. I checked the prop and the hub was a bit out of balance. Don't know how I missed that earlier but better late than never. I also replaced the lower two wires with weed eater cord since I had all the materials needed on hand (no trip to the hobby shop). We'll see how it goes the next time out.

Keep the ideas coming if there are more ways to skin this critter.

Thanks again!!!!
tkbig is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.