JR or Hitec? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

View Poll Results: will the newer version with a .28 kick a$$
DUH !!! it already kicks a$$ with a .25 11 68.75%
yes 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
JR or Hitec?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK guys being an Airtronics guy I don't know to much about either Hitec or JR!

Now I have some Airtronics Z receivers and I am looking at buying either JR or Hitec since no one likes to stock anything but standard Airtronics servos, ie nothing exotic from Airtronics anyways, so I am look at the other alternatives that are readily available in the LHO!

So what are your opinions on both? Now I am not yet ready to make the jump to digital servos as I don't want to spend $1000.00 for 5 servos so lets just stick to good heavy duty BB servos for now. These are for a CG Extra 300 with an OS 1.08 in it. I am looking at a 1/4 scale servo for the rudder and perhaps the elevator but two good high torque ones should be good for the ailerons.

Please vote but also post some opinions along with some recomended model numbers.

Thanx in advance for your help.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
On my Zlin - 2 meter span - likely gas engine
I'm considering Hitec 605BB for Elevator and Rudder
JR 517's for ailerons (2) and throttle
I've also been toying with a pair of Hitec 81's, running 6 volts - one in each elevator half (same aileron idea) :
I think most guys here like the hitecs

I am almost 100% JR though - (have a few Hitec 425's from some deal)
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

Well..I am die hard Jr user . But if it is best bang for the buck , I say go with the Hitec servos .

Kevin Perry
MAAC 29876

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

I got a 1/4 scale 700BB for my Sukhoi rudder after much research and 2 x 605BB for the elevator.

These are Hitec servos and as has been said, great bang for the buck. Also Hitec stands strongly behind their product and would recommend them easily. Most of my planes (and the heli's) use Hitec servos.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I dont think I would want to use the Hitec HS81's in anything larger than maybe a .25 or .32 size palne, even if one for each elevator half. I use a lot of them in my 1/2A and small size planes (like my lazy bee) and I have had some fail after hitting the surface (carrying it to and from the field). They are nice little servos but not designed for larger planes, and too much vibration IMO. I was using one for a throttle in a 60 size plane and it went on me too. In my smaller planes, what they were designed for, no problem.

Jim, I use a lot of Hitec servos. I like the 425BB for a good general purpose standard servo with a dual ball bearing output shaft. For something larger, the new sport digitals or the 56XX series are pretty nice.

The 605's ARE definitely being discontinued - allready have been, according to Mike Mayberry from Hitec. They are being replaced with a better quality motor in the same size case and should be out soon.

I have read a bit about the 5645's not centering well, but after flying them in three planes I seem to be having good luck. I also have 5945's in two aircraft and they are excellent, most guys compare them to the JR 8411.

So many choices though - sometimes I wonder why there are so many, I mean do you need to have a choice of allmost 40 different servos from Hitec alone?

Good luck!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

What Kevin and Nuker said "HITEC" have them all through my 34% and they are working great!

Jim Moss
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:21 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I suggest 5475's for the ailerons and 5645's for rudder and elevator. I haven't used these servos before but the hitec servos I do have have worked perfectly and I would definetly buy hitec servos again. In fact I do have a 5475 suppose to arrive tommorow.

MAAC #68500-J
james is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:31 PM   #8
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17
I'm a JR user and very happy too! The 8103. I use JR receivers. For servos I use Hitec. Most of my planes have the 605's, good bang for your buck, but it is being replaced and I'm sure it will be good too. I am putting 5945's and 5735 in my 33%, along with a JR PCM receiver. I have gotten use to the programming on the JR now and find it more than adequate. Considering I have trouble setting the clock on the VCR, I'm doing well with my radio. My next radio?? The JR 10X of course! There sure are lots of choices out there. My setup has proved to be very reliable. Have fun shopping!

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:35 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Way to go Frank Same servos and setup I'm using in my big Edge!

Jim Moss
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Frank and Jim M.... Your talking about he servo setups or 1/3 scale airplanes and I agree that the servos your using for these are awsome. I just purchased the 5945 coreless digitals for my 27% Extra BUT.....Scale guy is talking about servos or a CG Extra 68" wingspan weighing in at 8.5 lbs.

Please excuse me AND correct me if I'm wrong but I wouldn't think you would need 1/4 scale ultra high torque servos for the rudder and elevators of this plane and I'm not sure why you feel you need those Scaleguy! For one thing it would be definitely adding unnecesary weight on a beautiful flying plane! If you feel you need to go that highend on this plane I would think that 625MG's would be plenty of servo ( 76oz/94oz) at 4.8 and 6.0v respectively for any of the control serfaces on the CG Extra!

Just my humble opinion trying to figure out the reasoning here!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.