reciever battery question? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2003, 07:02 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
reciever battery question?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys, Last night I was working on my planes, and I forgot to turn off my switch in my plane, the reciever battery is totally drained, have I damaged this at all? or can I simply recharge it and dont worry about it? thanks for your help in advance,,,,, Joey......
joey is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

If you have a cycler I would charge it then discharge it again but it should be okay. It is just not advisable to discharge them that low every time.

If you don't have a cycler... find someone who does so they can check the pack for you.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:49 AM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Joey, First of all I am assuming that you are using Ni-Cad Packs.

If you just left the switch on overnight eg 8 or 9 hours I would say that your pack should be ok. All of us have done it at one time or another!

Do you have an ESV? Everyone who flys should have one! If not, its an excellent investment, especially for times like this! If you do, test the pack and see what the reading is, check it NOT under load if your ESV has a selectable switch. If it is an old pack and it show absolutely NO voltage, you may have one or more shorted cells, but if the pack is fairly new you probably won't. As a matter of fact, it is recommended that a battery pack be left in a discharged state while storing for the winter BUT even then the cells should still read about 1.0volts per cell or 4.0 volts for the pack. Find a friend who has an ESV if you don't have one.

I would suggest you use your overnight charger and leave it on for at least 16 hours and check it again with your ESV under load. It should now read somewhere around 5.2 - 5.4 volts. Definitely over 4.8volts.

Better yet, if you have a cycler or can get a friend who has one, do a cycle test on your pack after you have charged it for the 16 hours. A cycle test will discharge your pack to approx 1.1 volts per cell (4.4v for the pack) and fully recharge it which will refresh the pack as well. This will give you the best indication of the condition of your battery pack.

For a wealth of battery information check out this site

Hope this helps! Others too will probably offer suggestions on this matter.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.