How quick are you at a "standard" kit - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

View Poll Results: Would you race in a 1/18 off road race this summer?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0
How quick are you at a "standard" kit

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just wondering how quick the average modeller can and will commit to completing a standard airplane kit? I will throw this out as a poll,

I recognize that if you build like me you go in spurts then leave it for a while. But if you really went at it.....

Here are some typical examples of the kits, how long start to finish?
40 sized cub - GP Cub 40
Somethin' extra
4 star

Do you spend more time framing up or covering?
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #2
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
It will be interesting to see what people come up with here and, like you suggest, this is if I realy went at it.

Somethin' extra - built one on a Saturday and took 2 more days to install the radio and cover so, 3 days total.

CG Ultimate - Scratch built one (my fourth) in a week and took another 2 to install gear and cover.

CG Sukhoi - Same as Ultimate.

At this pace however I find that bulding becomes a job rather than a hobby. I wouldn't want ot do it all the time.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

On a bet a build a Fazer box to flight in 14 days. Actual time is normally about a month or so, real time is much longer.

2 weeks ago I built 2 4-star kits for the family; took about 3-4 days. Still have to cover them though.

Building spurts come and go with available time I guess
Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I can frame-up a plane in a few hours, but it can take 1-20 weeks to cover it and install the gear. If I had someone doing the finishing for me, I could turn out 3 or 4 a week!

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Oh I'm real quick !!!

Been scratch building the Typhoon for 8 years.

On a kit, 3 or 4 weeks.

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to building. I do love to build but it, like most, comes in spirts. I'll stay hard at it for a couple or three days and then leave off for a week.

I do spend a lot of time with the covering. I feel you can build the best plane in the world but if you do a shabby covering job the whole thing looks like do do! Being so fussy it takes me a long time, but I'm usually very happy with the results.

I'm putting myself to the test this winter with three kits to build and two ARF's to assemble. Well as with the rest of us, time will tell all!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Tough to say.

1st: I don't generally build "standard" kits (defined by the list)
2nd: I generally have 3-4 building boards occupied at any one time.
3rd: I probably spend more time detailing a plane than I do building/covering. Should this time be included?
4th: I also spend a lot of time researching the plane, determining what modifications are required to undo any non-scale compromises.

With all that said, including non-scale aircraft, I probably average a couple planes a year.

More time spent framing than covering if you ignore paint and markings.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Derrick R

I love building but hate covering. I can usually frame up a standard kit, without deviating from plans or instructions in about a week, including beer breaks.
The covering usually takes me a bit longer though as I don't enjoy it as much as building.

My personal record was a scratch built Sig Wonder. Took me all of 19 hrs to cut the parts, build and cover it, install the gear and ready for flight. A close second would be one of the few Hots that I have scratch built. I think I did one of those in a couple of days.

I think it really depends on the model and why I am building it as to my motivation in getting it done.
MAAC #41076
Derrick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Kit bashing

I am terribly slow at building my planes and usually build one per year! My slowest record is 29 years and counting for my Liberty sport I took longer to build a Dan Santich designed P26A Peashooter than it took to design and build the real one!
That being said. I rarely crash and have too many planes to count. I will be re-building my second CG Ultimate this winter (crashed that one ) and will also have two H9 Edge 540s ready for the upcoming Northern Ontario IMAC Challenge!

Lee Prevost
MAAC 9551
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

I have only built 3 kits so far. One was the LT-40 and that took me maybe 5 months, got it for christmas and flew it in the spring. Next was the estes astro-blaster, that one I built in distanced spurts, so probably 6 months . And my latest one, the GP extra 300 .40, I got the kit in september worked on it in spurts through out the winter and had it covered and painted for the mall show in February. I still had to install the radio gear though. As for building, I like doing it but I am just slow at it, even if I worked on a kit non stop, it still takes me a long time to do things. I think it only took me about a week to cover the extra, and if I do say so myself I think it looks pretty darn good. I enjoy covering when things turn out they way I planned. Being only 17 and filling up my dad's garage with airplanes (I tried to get him into the hobby, but failed) he doesnt want me building anymore. So Im just going to recover my supersportster this winter.
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.