BEARINGS for your two stroke - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2003, 01:20 PM   #11
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here's a place to try A common set of bearings widely used in .40/.50 egines is US7.97 + $5 for shipping up to $90 worth. That would be a 6902 rear and R6Z front. The fellow selling them, Paul MacIntosh, is well know on usenet in the rmrca group. He strikes me as a square shooter. I found the site navigation a little wonky but the goods are there if you poke around a bit.

Something to bear in mind is that some engines require a little looser fit -C3 - to ensure good bearing life. In many applications it doesn't seem to matter while in others it does.

I find the local bearing place in Dartmouth not too bad for supply and price. They have different discount structures. As a retail customer you pay full price. Buying as a business you get a better deal.

I have bought from Cliff Schwartz, the Webra dealer in Winnipeg and gotten good service and prices. The Webra sizes are commom to many other makes and the clearance is C3. I found that the Webra .61 needed that in particular and the same for OS 1.08 .
JohnH is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:19 PM   #12
RCC Contributor

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK, My buddy and I have recently taken apart 3 FX46's and noticed that the original rear OS bearing had 6 balls and the NSF bearing we bought locally had 7 balls ... one would think that the 7 ball bearing (NSF) would be faster .... we also noticed the different pistons that OS is using now as opposed to the ones of the first three years of the FX .... see my other post.
plncrzy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:16 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Most bearings in our engines are C3 classification. I have used phenolic when racing but it was more for the higher rpms. They also seem to last longer but are expensive. After I started to use the C3 type and changed more regular. I buy mine at a bearing supply and usually 3 or 4 of each kind. If they don't have them they will order for you. Prices usually are very good and they are mostly sealed on both sides. I like this when I get them because I can remove the seal with a pick and clean them and then oil them with Boca oil.
Just a tip when replacing the brgs. After the engine is together tighten the prop nut with an old prop and then give it a sharp wack with a brass or soft hammer. You will feel the brgs. seat and free up. A good fit is when the heavy part of the crank goes south or down on its own.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:54 PM   #14
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Andrew can I make a suggestion. Next time your in Timmins go to Canadian Bearing and set up a small account. You might even get them to mail you a account application. When you need a bearing they will mail it to you. I know farmers who have done this and you do have a legit business number.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:13 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Funny thing I just placed an order with them! I found out they are a distributor for Boston Gear - I ordered my toothed belt and wheels for my ACRV-1 engine (uses the toothed belt and wheels to drive the rotary valve 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft). I also ordered my linear bearings off of them last year about this time, for my prop carving machine.

I will have to go up to Timmins for a job (some woodwork) after Christmas. Will stop in and see the guys there, I hear they have a good selection in house.

I just got some bearings in from Boca this week. They are so easy to use though, just place my order and 4 or 5 days later they are here.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3
Hi guys,

I thought I would chime in here since I worked as a bearing applications engineer for NTN bearings for a while.

The bearings that we use in our engines are nothing special. Just regular old bearings. When people refer to BOCA bearings, all they are is a reseller for pretty much any bearings they can get their hands on. Don't get me wrong, BOCA is a good company, but they only resell NTN, SKF, NSK, INA, FAG, or any other of the lines they can get.

The nice thing with BOCA is that they actually carry the sizes that we need...where our local bearing houses usually don't.

The C3 classification that was referred to means that the bearing has a higher than normal clearance. This is better for a very high temp. application.
The phenolic (i.e plastic) cages are not necessarily better. Just another type of cage available for our bearings. FAG used this as a marketing ploy for a long time.

The difference between 6 balls or 7 balls....the bearings with 7 balls can take a slightly higher load than the bearing with 6 balls. Not a huge factor with the loads we see with our engines.

When it comes down to it. Keep your engine clean. Keep it free of moisture. Keep it free of debris. Keep it well lubricated. Your bearing will last quite a while. When they need replacing, use a good quality bearing and they will see a long life .

You want to see a bearing....go to your local bearing supplier and ask them to see a paper mill press roll bearing. Now that's a bearing!

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:39 AM   #17
Ken W
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ken W

I remember something about the bearing tolerances for our engines need too be larger for better lubrication?
Old wives tale?
Ken W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #18
RCC Junior Contributor

hey andrew if you need bearings just email the sizes and your adress to me and i could get them from the place in timmins for you then mail them... if it would be any cheaper than accually ordering them from your bearing guy.
JASON ABBOTT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:27 PM   #19
RCC Contributor
I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4
I agree that there is nothing special about these bearings and have replaced them in many engines and many times using local bearing suppliers. I have done the OS .46 with bearings from BC Bearings and it has been running for many gallons of fuel with no problems. Since you are in Edmonton, check with Commerical Bearing or BC for replacements.
If you feel flush, get OS bearings, they will also work.
Have fun getting out the rear bearing. A little trick, put the stripped engine in a deep freeze for a day and then take it and put it in a toaster oven for about 5 mintues. After taking it out of the oven, tap the rear of the engine on a wooden block and the rear bearing should pop right out.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #20
RCC Contributor

The two most common reasons for bearing failure are

1. improper installation
2. dirt in the race

Now knowing this, i would say be more coinsured with them. All major bearing manufactures are good.

there all great
All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.
hedgehog23 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.