Great Hobbies - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2003, 08:13 AM   #31
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
money saved

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Follow up to my first post from Nov 10, 2003.

My GH order arrived yesterday, well packed, and the invoice matched the contents.

Money saved:
7% PST by ordering out of province = $24.92
Free shipping (bulky order) = probably close to = $20.00
Gasoline saved not having to drive to the LHS = $10.00

Total $ savings on this order = $54.92 , thanks Great Hobbies.

I order from other shops , (Triad, Hobby Wholesale, Ideal), across the country, I used the web and the 1-800 number to find the best price and stretch my rc dollar.

cheers - ken k

Great Hobbies has saved me money over the years with their prices and service. They will get me an item that is not in stock in 2 to 3 weeks while the local store took several months if they even tried to get that item.

As with any mail order "order", plan your purchases to meet your schedule, if it is an item that is critical, buy locally or ship express.

I had a shipping problem this morning with GH, I called GH and GH fixed the problem, good customer service at GH.

They are trying their best but I think the linkup between the Edmonton and PEI stores has a few snags in the system for order sharing and shipping.

Bottom line - as with any mail orders, keep on top of your orders, call the 1-800 numbers, it's free and allows you to keep track of your order.
email direct me at
PM's occasionally checked.
my site at
kenair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:22 AM   #32
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Wanna save PST.....move to Alberta
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:03 PM   #33
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
I have also oredered a couple of times from Great Hobbies and have had no problems.

The biggest item I ordered was a heli which had the bill in the pouch with the credit card number inked out. I also do not think this a great policy. It would be no problem for some semi skilled chemists to treat the inked bill and read the credit card number.

That said i have had e mails about parts on back order and ones requesting me to respond about whether I wanted the ones in stock mailed out or to wait until all parts were in stock , then mailed out.

The Lady there even called me on the phone ( I live north of Toronto) and left a message on my machine once about an order I had.

So far great service.

Of course there is competition from several mail order Hobby shops and all the other regular Hobby Shops across Canada.

I have also heard my local hobby shop owner comment on poor service from his Canadian distributors. One in particular that he says seemed to not want any business by the way they treated him. So now he refused to order anything from this distributor and suggest you order it personally for better service.

SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:22 AM   #34
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
I just placed an on-line order this AM toronto time, About 0800. By 1215 toronto time I had a responce by sherri that all but one item was in stock and how would I like to proceed. This is my first great hobbies on-line order from them and a great expeirence so far. Perhaps they have fixed any bugs in the system. Andrew, this is for a gear for the project. other than that the engine is finished! whahoo
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:45 AM   #35
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
I've never had a problem with great hobbies before. Before I got into r/c, I built plastic models so I ordered all my stuff from them. For about four years now I have ordered from them. Only once, which was a few months ago, they sent me 1/16th inch balsa instead of 1/8th. Even then, they offered to send me 1/8 for free! I don't have their big catalogue, so I often have to go to the 1-900 number. They have a great service team that offers great advice.

I make about one big order a month, and with only one mistake in four years, I think they do a pretty good job!
Brandon Webber
MAAC # 69932J
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man, landing is the first!
bmwkadet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.