New to me, used Saito 65, a few questions. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2003, 10:33 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
New to me, used Saito 65, a few questions.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just received a used Saito 65 four stroke. I've never run a FS and it didn't come with instructions. I'm not sure how old it is nor how many tanks of fuel through it. Any suggestions on starting out with this motor.
What type of fuel, I've got 15% and 10% XP fuel on hand? I received a
spare plug with it. Prop suggestions would also be appreciated.

I've been looking for an excuse to build a break in/test stand, all the parts are available in the shop.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Guys,
Hmm, Wonder what I can build from that shrapnel?
Bosshog is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:50 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13

i burned the 15%cool power in mine(all synthetic)it's what is recomended in four strokes(synthetic fuel).but i would burn the fuel that you have.i think that the castor may "gumm" up the valves,but you can clean them up if need far as props go.i think that you can use anywhere from a 11 4 up to a 13 or 14 in prop on it.i had a 12 6 on mine in a 72in span ford flivver.i guess it depends what you are going to fly with it.if you look on the saito web site,you will find the manual for it there.i did.all your info will be there for you. good luck!let me know what you're planning on putting it in.i should add that you also need a specific four stroke plug for this motor.osf is the one that is most recommended i believe.also started it up rich initially just to be safe until she warms up.3turns on the high speed oughta do it.a tach definetely comes in handy with the 4 strokes.once again all the info you will find on the saito website.also alot of guy's burn the 30%heli fuel in their saito's.hang on tight! I believe that the 65 has been replaced by the 72,so they are no longer made as far i know.i stand to be corrected on all this info.but it worked for me. that engine is still running like new to this day!
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:51 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1
The Saito manual is a pdf file @ Horizon Hobbies web site.

Your gonna love that engine!! Saito's are the best 4 stroke around (IMHO).

BTW, I run Wildcat 10% in my 56, no problems with castor gumming up the valves.

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:16 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Some suggestions:

- Make sure you have an OS #F Plug

- Make sure you really prime the engine before starting so that it's really wet with fuel.

- Make sure you run the engine dry at the end of your session,

- Use caution when turning the prop by hand. 4-strokes (especially if they are warm/hot) have the capability of starting up without the glow igniter attached. (rare but possible). If you are priming the engine by hand, get a firm grip on it, just in case. Even when using a chicken stick, be prepared for a "kick" back.

- Firmly hold the prop when attaching the glow driver (same reason as above)

- As was suggested get/borrow a tach, your ears won't detect differences as easily as with a 2 stroke. Saito recommends leaning it out to max RPM them backing off 300-400 rpm's. I prefer to break in my new 4-strokes richer than that, but that is a personal preference.

-Again as was said, the prop selection is also based on plane. If you just want to break it in, what I did was purchase some inexpensive wood props that were in the middle of the "sport" range for break in.

I'm running 3 x .56's 1 x .91 and 1 x 1.80(still new); Saito's rock

Hope this helps,

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
RCC Apprentice

Thanks guys,
I downloaded the manual. The spare plug is an "F" plug according to the
package. The test bench was built this morning, so I guess all i need to do
is fire her up.

I think the motor will go into a SPAD Bipe I've been thinking about.
I have a balsa bipe in the basement waiting for an engine but I think I'll
try a SPAD first, to learn on.

Hmm, Wonder what I can build from that shrapnel?
Bosshog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.