Flying alone - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #21
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
Re: Flying alone

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There is a lot to say about the social aspect of this hobby and I respect that but some of us march to the beat of a different drummer. I like flying, building and creating on my own for me isolation from people is a break I need at times, so I go into my hobby shed and build because I can focus on my own thoughts, my Greek Bireme is an example of that. When I fly I want to concentrate on what I'm doing and seeing, how I can change or improve things the whole time I'm doing it. I invent and create when on my own and that for me is my pleasure. I invented a simple strap that stops leg and foot cramps during sleep and during the day, works great I wear it 24/7 and so do the people I gave one to. I've taken out three other patents and as early as 1980 designed a steering column Mack trucks used in almost all their models the next year. So for people like me isolation and silence is golden when I can get it.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 62

That's pretty cool Jim, good for you!

Bill
Old 10-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #23
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

...but you come to this site to share your amazing boat! So you are not as antisocial as you think, thanks for that!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #24
Max
Administrator

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 151

Even at my flying club, we had no-one with heli experience to help me get started years ago. I pretty much learned myself. What was neat was a few years later there was another new guy that also wanted to get into helis. He didnt know anything at the beginning.

Between he and I, we learned and helped each other much better than either one of us could have done on our own. Even though we were both noobs, just by asking each other questions and trying new things and sharing with each other, we learned so much from each other.

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #25
steeleagle
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lyle H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2

I like to fly alone but I do have a good buddy who also flys helis and we do get together to fly at a local soccer field. The club atmosphere doesn't really work for me.
steeleagle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #26
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba

Total Props: 9

I fly or play with my RC stuff by myself mainly because of time constraints and I don't want another commitment such as belonging to a club or group. So when I get the chance I pick your brains on this website if I have any problems or just to kill time.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:09 AM   #27
ljcphotorc
RCC Noob

I am: Luke C.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx6
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0

I bought a Blade 450 flybar years ago and taught myself how to fly. I made every mistake possible with that bird trying to learn everything. I fly helicopters alone, because I seem to be the only one who flies 3D/helicopters in my city. Going to the field is nice. Our club is small, so I normally have the place to myself.
ljcphotorc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #28
kush61
RCC Apprentice

I am: AndrewK
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 000

Last fall, after retiring my 2 Blade MQX's and 1 Blade 180 QX due to complete exhaustion (and the ridiculous cost of replacement parts), I up-graded to a Flame Wheel.
I try to put in as much flight time as I can, usually after dark o-clock this time of year. I'll fly the DJI 450 in any weather, except steady rain or when extremely cold, under the parking lot lights of the local Canadian Legion.
Since Sept-2015 when I started flying it, after acquiring the first 4 of the 8 batteries I fly with, I've charged each of them at least 100 times. I've saved every blade that I've broken. I've flown it at a 45 angle to hoover into a 70KM/H wind, frozen my digits holding the Tx when the temperature was below freezing and will be out there tonight flying in the Freezing Rain to see the effects of ice build-up on the blades.
I don't understand why I can't find someone to fly with!
But my confidence is rapidly inflating with every battery cycle depleted!

Cheers
Andrew
kush61 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
Max
Administrator

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush61 View Post
Last fall, after retiring my 2 Blade MQX's and 1 Blade 180 QX due to complete exhaustion (and the ridiculous cost of replacement parts), I up-graded to a Flame Wheel.
I try to put in as much flight time as I can, usually after dark o-clock this time of year. I'll fly the DJI 450 in any weather, except steady rain or when extremely cold, under the parking lot lights of the local Canadian Legion.
Since Sept-2015 when I started flying it, after acquiring the first 4 of the 8 batteries I fly with, I've charged each of them at least 100 times. I've saved every blade that I've broken. I've flown it at a 45 angle to hoover into a 70KM/H wind, frozen my digits holding the Tx when the temperature was below freezing and will be out there tonight flying in the Freezing Rain to see the effects of ice build-up on the blades.
I don't understand why I can't find someone to fly with!
But my confidence is rapidly inflating with every battery cycle depleted!

Cheers
Andrew
Way to go, bud! That takes determination

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #30
marymac
RCC Noob

I am: Mary M
Radio of choice:
spektrum

Self taught and on my own..
marymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.