Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 9
Re: Top Flite Cessna 182

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwavesdave View Post
Cessna is all done, ground engine run-ups complete, she's on charge now, and we'll see what the weather brings over the weekend. With luck, we'll get a flight or two in.
Good luck with the maiden! I expect it'll be a pussycat though.
CF105 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #122
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Thanks Kevin, weather just not cooperating this weekend for us, but we did get lots done, including getting one wing of your Wildcat primed, and ready for paint!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #123
Edge54010
RCC Apprentice

I am: Brandon H

Total Props: 0

A guy i fly with has this plane. It flies really well
Edge54010 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #124
flyerinokc
RCC Noob

I am: Mike C
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 7

How did the maiden come out? I have this kit on my work bench waiting for its turn to get finished.
flyerinokc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #125
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 19

I would be interested to hear what the all up flying weight came to. Mine was over the kit suggested weight but don't remember the exact amount. Didn't affect the flying at all. As Dave did , I would highly suggest to replace the main aluminum gear with the ARF fibreglass gear from Tower Hobbies and use the nosegear from Robart....... it's all in the built forum here, page one and in other forums under rcgroups

Last edited by stegl; 01-06-2017 at 12:09 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #126
cicopo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 16

I'm back at my build now after deciding to concentrate on getting a Lancaster built. I've glassed everything but the wing & one aileron & the wing is ready for sanding & then the glassing. Things I didn't like / or will delay you include mounting the back window / masking it correctly, any & all of the ABS parts & their fit once assembled, and be aware that if building flaps the control horn is mounted in a different place on each one. Do not build them with it at the same distance from the end. Luckily I did it right but wasn't aware I had until 2 days ago. The cowl & tail cone both gave me grief but I've got them perfect now but that's after several hours of rework. I'm not sure what I'll end up with (in time) when it comes to the wheel pants.
I'd be very interested to hear how others deal with mounting & finishing the rear window. I've decided to add 1/2 inch square stock to mount the outside edges to. I've shaped it to accept the window, stepped it in a bit so I can glass over the last 3/8" of the window on each side & I'll use a few stitches of thread to pull it tight to my framework which will be hidden under the glass cloth.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #127
flyerinokc
RCC Noob

I am: Mike C
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 7

I started to use the cowl and tail cone that came with the kit and decided I wasn't happy with thewm. I have purchased a new fiberglass cowl and tail cone from Fiberglass Specialties the are so much more substantial. I haven't found a way of installing the rear window to my liking please let me know what you come up with.
flyerinokc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #128
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS16 just need one radio as it does it all but still use my Airtronics SD10.

Larry and Mike. : I used a glass cowl and made a mold for my tail-cone . Decided to buy the ARF wheel pants and main glass landing gear which I got from Tower Hobbies. Did do another layer of 4 oz glass on the pant inside to also overlap the inseams and to give the edge around the wheel openings more meat as that's a weak area , I thought. The original aluminum main gear is garbage as it starts to sag after several grass landings at my weight.
Will post the rcgroups link for my and others build. Also built in float hard points so I can add floats maybe this summer if and when I get time.

Also on the flap horns I doubled them up with a HD ball link in between for strength and minimal friction . Yes I also got daughter with the flap horns being in different spots. Caught that on the build and had made corrections before grassing.

Last edited by stegl; 01-06-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #129
cicopo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 16

Len I used your flap control horn suggestion when building the flaps & will be getting new ball end links for them. I'll try to get a few photos showing my idea of how I'm trying to mount the rear window. Because I was building this to see what modern kits are like after a 35 year break from this hobby & because I have the time to waste in partial retirement I decided to take 1 shot at the cowl & if I couldn't make it fit decently I'd buy a fiberglass cowl. Having a background in Corvette restoration led me to try a few things & one worked rather well but was time consuming. I then decided to make a new tail cone from scratch but after thinking about it I decided to cut it lengthwise at about the centre of each side, sand until it's vertical height fit at the front, re glue a small piece of scrap ABS on the inside to hold it together (using Plumbers ABS Cement) & then I glassed the whole thing with 1/2 oz cloth, 2 layers along the cut & 1 layer over all of it.
I will also take a few photos of the cowl & the firewall mod I made to be able to get it to fit. It's very tight to the little step at the firewall so I use a large washer on the prop hub & use the threads to press the cowl into place. After getting it to fit using a bit of heat, reshaping it with more heat & shaping it with body filler I glassed the whole thing & it holds the new shape rather well. It's a bit heavy but if needed I can remove material from inside where the body filler is thickest. (it's not very think however in any given location but that weight is all the way out front.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #130
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Here is another 182 link on RCGROUPS fpor some good ideas also. some may be a repeat of mine here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...182-Skylaneeat

the other major change ; I did; was dual redundant servos in the H. stab, one for each elevator. Details in this forum and in RCGROUPS link per above. Happen to have got my hands on a 3 blade 15x8 Graupner wide blade prop that will be an interesting change. The motor has more than enough power to handle it but will be interesting to see how much more thrust.

Last edited by stegl; 01-07-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.