MK intructions needed PLEASE!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2003, 12:47 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
MK intructions needed PLEASE!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,
I'm new here and I've posted this message on a couple of other R/C airpline BBs but I thought maybe I could get a home grown answer from a fellow Canuck. My brother's in-laws were cleaning out the basement and came across a MK Skymaster kit by KATO (it looks like it might be 10-15 years old). It has a .60 engine and all the balsa parts and blueprints. He gave it to me on the weekend to build. It's been started but is lacking the INSTRUCTIONS!!. I've been trying to look at it from the plans and work from them but I'm worried I'll screw up. If anyone has this kit and can let me know where I can find the instructions it would be great. It's made by KATO Model Aircraft Inc. in Osaka Japan. I've searched the net and found the KATO builds trains now but can't find any info on this model plane.

My second question is this...when building the front of the fuselage (engine compartment) it looks solid on the plans. Do I mount the engine and build around it or build the plane and cut out the side later to mount the engine....I'm a newbie and maybe bit off more than I can chew...but I wasn't about to pass up a free plane and engine and I have some extra time this winter to experiment. I'm pretty sure the plane ISN'T a trainer (it has retractable gear) but thought it would be a fun project to build. Thanks for the help.

jchalmers is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the BEST RC BB on the net... stay here and forget the rest!

Have you built anything before? It might be wise to set this one aside and perhaps start with something a little more suited to the newbie. The Cessna Skymaster is an in-line twin engine aircraft and not really something to wein your building or flying skills on. Perhaps if you do find a set of instructions you will be OK but I would ask Santa to bring you something for Christmas that you could build first especially if all you have done is assemble an ARF or two.

Do you belong to a club? Perhaps you could team up with someone with a little more experience and turn it into a team project. You mentioned it had only one engine, perhaps this is not the kit I thought it was.

As for your nose queastion.. Did the kit come with one solid block of bals that you have to carve for the nose or is it like a builtup box made from 1/2 balsa or something similar? How does the engine mount? Is it on hardwood rails or will you use one of the glass filled nylon engine mounts that are out today? Will need this information before I can comment further. Doy you have a scanner or a digital camera that you can scan or take a picture of the nose section of the plans so that we might see exactly what you are talking about?

By the way what make is the engine? What is the name on the side?

Like I said welcome aboard I am sure you will spend many hours here like the rest of us!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:26 AM   #3
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Thanks Jim,

The model is not a's not modelled after any "real" plane that I know of.

As far as building planes...I have built a couple of rubber band powered balsa planes (paper and dope covering) so I have a VERY little experience.

The engine mounts on two hard-wood rails with a built up balsa compartment....I'll take a digital camera home this weekend and maybe get some pics posted if that will help.

I am going to talk to some guys at PM hobby craft in Calgary this weekend and see what they say.

Thanks again for the help!!
jchalmers is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.