Foamies and the future...... - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #21
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 7
Re: Foamies and the future......

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I share Flypaper's perspective. TO me, flying is one hobby, building another. They happen to go together very well, but there's nothing wrong with doing only one and not the other. I do both, but I'm a flyer first and a builder second.

As for choice of materials, I have to say wood has won me over. I started with foamies, but definitely prefer the way wood planes fly.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #22
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Forgot to mention that building always challenges you in ways that may be useful in other areas of life. Learning to interpret the layout and instructions, picture and plan the sequence, solve problems along the way or "improve" on things, (I'm guilty of that one in a big way) helps keep the mind nimble and alert. Even when occupied with other tasks, I find thoughts fill the empty time with lists of things to do towards the latest project or two. I often solve some of the most recalcitrant puzzles this way.

I have two brother in laws that lack any significant hobbies and both appear to not enjoy their retirements very much. That seems a common theme.

Dave, along with salvaging, rebuilding or resurrecting full-size, I too helped build a few aircraft when I was in aviation, a Lancair 360, (beautiful hot rod, but tiny) and a pair of Murphy Rebels. I would estimate the skills required were often similar. Only a matter of scale.

That is not to say this hobby is unique. Just like exercise strengthens the body and keeps it healthy longer, the same can be said for the mind.

These obviously are my own opinion, but think they have merit.

Oh yeah, I'm also a voracious reader
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #23
RCC Contributor
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1

What a diverse group of people/modeller/fliers we have here in RCCanada. It just shows on all of the post here. Different take, different ideas all good and informative as to the state of our hobby.....main goal, keep our hobby going, whether they build and fly compared to assemble and fly...we are all in it for the "fun" of that my wife has shown interest in flying....I am starting her out building an LT40 and buying a 6 channel buddy box to go with my 10cap...let the building and learning begin...wohoo...really happy she wants to learn to build and fly....!
slash60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #24
RCC Contributor
I am: Ron H.
Radio of choice:

Sure, arf's and foamies have their place, I've had a couple myself. Lots of fun sometimes, and can be a nice 'grab it and zip to the field on a nice evening' sort of thing.

I wish more people would get back to building, but alas, we live in a world where instant gratification is the key. Most folks don't have the patience to spend on even a small project that only takes a month or so to build. They wanna go have fun, and they wanna do it NOW! Or they 'don't have the time'. Tell ya what, I'm a busy guy too, but I still have slowly been picking away at two different projects. It can be done, and its fun doing it. You don't have to have it built and flying within a week, that's why you have a couple other airplane to play with while you build your 'new baby'.

I build for a number of reasons that have already been, like to tinker/improve things, improve my skills, etc.

BUT......the single biggest reason that I like to build my own from a kit or scratch build from plans....................

When I show up at the field or a fun fly, my airplane is UNIQUE. It is mine. There are not 4 or 5 others exactly the same. Even if it is a kit built airplane, for example a Sig 4-Star 40 and there are 2 others there, well mine will probably be my own colour scheme, and probably have some mods to suit my own will be unique. I love coming out to the field and having other guys admire my airplanes because they are different. They aren't the same arf that there are already a bunch on the flight line.
stardustertoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #25
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Another way to look at it. For something to fly I bought the foamy Visionaire, Splendour, etc. That gives me time to build my oddball planes that you can't buy, Pogo, flyguy, Wanda the witch, etc. The best of both worlds.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #26
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Life to me is about much more than just being another crass consumer. It's about aspiring to be a builder, a craftsman, an inventor, a virtuoso of my interest. I may never achieve the level I aspire to but there is a lot of reward in the journey!

The other thing that draws me to the building board is that I create something with the intention to make it last, to get some mileage out of it. The foamy life cycle of buy - fly - throw out - buy - fly - throw out ... just sticks in my craw! Garbage dumps out here are getting alarmingly large! The cancer of our countryside!
I have foamies more than 5 years old. So there are exceptions. When O.S. is selling their electric motors you know things are changing. Add a little solvent to the foam and it disappears!
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #27
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Add a little solvent to the foam and it disappears!
Hey! This guy believes in magic!

I'm guessing it's just changed from a solid to a liquid. What I'm doing with garbage foam is breaking it up and using it to insulate the walls of the basement. The chicken house is next.
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #28
RCC Noob
I am: wc
Radio of choice:
complete beginner
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0

I'm very new here so forgive this question.

How much life do you get out of a foamie and roughly total cost for a complete beginner? I've seen foam kits for the body ranging about $25, but what about the rest of it such as the engine or other components.

Good for a complete beginner or seek out RTF beginner plane?

- William
WilliamC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #29
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

WilliamC, that is almost an open ended question. Depending on your skill level and type of flying there are all sorts of possibilities. However, foamies almost always run electric and the range for the power systems, ie, motor, ESC and battery, are endless. If you search you may be able to find one ready to fly so the work has been done for you.

Coming from a builder that leaves out the challenge and reward of building the craft yourself, but for one starting out it has the advantages of minimizing errors along the way and gets you flying quicker. Let us know more of what you are looking for and perhaps another member will be able to help.

Another is if you have any equipment already on hand, (radio system, battery gear, etc.). With the right choices, even if the airframe does not survive you can often use them again for the next.

If possible, avoid anything with a brushed motor. Their efficiency is much lower so you get less power and flight times compared to equivalent brushless. I also find this true of complete setups that include the radio system as they are often of marginal long term use, (I had one with control pots that failed in 20 minutes out of the box). This goes back to my earlier note on having things on hand. If you invest in even slightly better gear it will continue to provide service in the future and for multiple craft. Most newer radio systems are capable of discrete programming for a number of different model types and a good balance charger is definitely worth it when it comes time to maximizing performance and life expectancy of your batteries.

Don't worry about asking questions. We're here to help in any way we can. One other suggestion is to come to the London Swap Meet October 18. One of the biggest events of the year and there will likely be lots of goodies to look at. I normally have a table but scheduling and people riding with me have me running around too much that day. Will be around early and can meet up if you want. PM if interested.

ps. One of my favorite foamies remains the Polaris family of amphibs. These are derivatives of the Northstar designed by fellow Canuck and RCC member Laddie Mikulasko and come in a box of pre-cut foam sheet for the basic Polaris to premoulded parts for the larger Ultra. Both can be purchased as a package with the power system included with only the battery and receiver required to complete. Their attraction is the ability to fly from any surface, (water, snow, sand, grass or pavement) and are hugely popular with good support. From basic flying to aeros they cover the spectrum.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!

Last edited by Cougar429; 09-29-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #30
RCC Contributor
I am: William
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX9
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 4

I have been trying my best to build kits as good as my dad and most guys I know for about 15 years and still have trouble with it but I am also not the greatest at flying models whether its be made from balsa or foam. So I guess that makes me a boarder line idiot Lol
Me109G is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.