Foamies and the future...... - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #41
PRS
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul S
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Re: Foamies and the future......

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
I do! The only real difference I see is the depth of their pockets. This is not always true but more and more I see guys going directly from foamies to giant scale 3D. Spending their way up the peer ladder rather that earning it with skinned knuckles and sweat.

No I would welcome you, inquire tactfully of your competence level, offer help/instruction, ask the length of your stay, offer you a gate key if it was for more than one day and go back to what I was doing.

Now if you showed up with that Bird of Time... I would be all over you like a fat kid on Smarties, drooling uncontrollably, asking for your advice and checking to see if you needed a best buddy!!!
Very good points. I like your attitude.

I guess it is time I put up a build log of the BOT just for you
PRS is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #42
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 64

I have the kit, someone else started it and the cats pretty much destroyed what was done but some day I will finish it!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #43
cman
RCC Contributor

I am: Chuck B

Total Props: 5

if you want my thoughts and experience please read below if not skip to next post

I use to think ARF's and ARC's (remember those) were cheating and electric planes were not part of the hobbies, if I didn't build it and it wasn't a glider or a nitro plane it was cheating.

Then life got busy really busy, and I found that due to moves things got damaged lost or just needed a lot of time to get back into flying shape. add in the fact that I lived in a city with no real LHS. I was out of the hobby for a few years then picked up a magazine and saw some RTF electric plane, and thought wait if I buy this tonight I can fly tomorrow.. it will take me all weekend to get a nitro plane ready and I only feel comfortable flying at a club which I will have to find and join. So I drove 30 or 40 min to a hobby store and bought one.
charged the battery and flew the next morning, it was 3 channel and a trainer type but I was happy again. and I could fly in early mornings with no noise and be finished before the day starts for most people. I joined the local club paid my dues did volunteering met some good people but they did not like electric planes and i did not fly there much i think i managed to get my nitro trainer out there 4 times over 2 years.

Many years later and many jobs later, i went to the London BMO indoors and met some more people and had a good time and no one cared what i was flying weather i built ir or bought it assembled. Now i belong to a great club where no one seems to care if your flying electric nitro, arf, kit or scratch built, if your plane looks like a show piece or is covered in patches of covering from flight and transport incidents. as long as you follow the rules all is great. the RC hobby has never been more enjoyable for me, so much that i have spent my free time flying foam electric ARFs, my attitude certainly has changed i hope others also change. and realize as long as you enjoy flying it does not matter what you fly. fly safe respect others and have fun is that not what the flying part of the hobby is all about? To me the hobby has many parts to it, building, flying and hanging out and helping others. i build in my house not at the club, i fly and get help or help othes at the club. i think any plane that is brought to the club is cool and can usually pick up a tip from other flyers and receive a tip or 4 from other flyers

I also wonder if there is a difference between me buying a eflite BNF corsair that is foam, or if ia buy a top flight corsair from the classifieds here that just requires a receiver.. i did not build either plane but for some reason one will be frowned upon by some and the other will not be, but i did not build either.

Now i need to get to the basement and finish my field box as well as my Heer Mini Sport, and then.....

C
cman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #44
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
if you want my thoughts and experience please read below if not skip to next post

I use to think ARF's and ARC's (remember those) were cheating and electric planes were not part of the hobbies, if I didn't build it and it wasn't a glider or a nitro plane it was cheating.

Then life got busy really busy, and I found that due to moves things got damaged lost or just needed a lot of time to get back into flying shape. add in the fact that I lived in a city with no real LHS. I was out of the hobby for a few years then picked up a magazine and saw some RTF electric plane, and thought wait if I buy this tonight I can fly tomorrow.. it will take me all weekend to get a nitro plane ready and I only feel comfortable flying at a club which I will have to find and join. So I drove 30 or 40 min to a hobby store and bought one.
charged the battery and flew the next morning, it was 3 channel and a trainer type but I was happy again. and I could fly in early mornings with no noise and be finished before the day starts for most people. I joined the local club paid my dues did volunteering met some good people but they did not like electric planes and i did not fly there much i think i managed to get my nitro trainer out there 4 times over 2 years.

Many years later and many jobs later, i went to the London BMO indoors and met some more people and had a good time and no one cared what i was flying weather i built ir or bought it assembled. Now i belong to a great club where no one seems to care if your flying electric nitro, arf, kit or scratch built, if your plane looks like a show piece or is covered in patches of covering from flight and transport incidents. as long as you follow the rules all is great. the RC hobby has never been more enjoyable for me, so much that i have spent my free time flying foam electric ARFs, my attitude certainly has changed i hope others also change. and realize as long as you enjoy flying it does not matter what you fly. fly safe respect others and have fun is that not what the flying part of the hobby is all about? To me the hobby has many parts to it, building, flying and hanging out and helping others. i build in my house not at the club, i fly and get help or help othes at the club. i think any plane that is brought to the club is cool and can usually pick up a tip from other flyers and receive a tip or 4 from other flyers

I also wonder if there is a difference between me buying a eflite BNF corsair that is foam, or if ia buy a top flight corsair from the classifieds here that just requires a receiver.. i did not build either plane but for some reason one will be frowned upon by some and the other will not be, but i did not build either.

Now i need to get to the basement and finish my field box as well as my Heer Mini Sport, and then.....

C
You said a mouthful, Chuck, and I believe you speak for many others who have felt and experienced the same thing. I had that old paradigm too. Today most of my active fleet is electric. I am even converting some nitros to electric. And if I can get myself a foamy that I really want to fly, I'll get it now and not have to give up a season building it.

PS- Wood DC 3 almost finished, been diddling with it for years now. would rather get a large foamy DC3 and fly it now.

Wood P-38 in the box. Will never build it. Have a foam P-38 that is larger and I've been flying it for years now. What do I need to build the wood one for?

Wood FW-190 in the box. Don't think I'll ever build it now. Would rather fly a foam FW190

2 Wood Mosquitos. One 60% done, one 20% done. Would rather get the ARF Mozzie from CMP http://www.scaleflying.com/DeHavvila...5x14_p_34.html or a large RTF foamy.

You are right. Life is just too busy today (for some people, not for others)

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #45
cman
RCC Contributor

I am: Chuck B

Total Props: 5

Max same situation I always thought one day I would build a Corsair with flaps and retracts, and scale details, but it would take me years and there is no way I could make it look as good as the Eflite 1.2M Corsair I try to fly once a week. I lack the skills, patients and time, at this point in my life.
cman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #46
crmattson
RCC Noob

I am: Clay
Radio of choice:
Spectrum/
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

I want to add some to this discussion. To get to my point and avoid the history, go to the last paragraph.

I first held the sticks and actually flew RC about 30 years ago. I fella I worked with and a good friend at the time both were active in the hobby. I learned quite a bit from them but never built my own plane as the time and expense was too much for me with a young family. I do remember though, how sad it was when they crashed and demolished planes they had spent so much time building.

About 4 years ago I received a Parrot Drone as a gift. This was controlled by a tablet and had a camera you could see as you fly. Now this thing was pretty neat but just didnít do what all I wanted. I looked around and saw that you could get a foam plane (Horizon Super Cub), radio and all you need to fly for fewer than 200 bucks. I bought one and since I live in the country with a lot of land to practice on, I took it home and taught myself how to fly. It wasnít pretty. I spent more time crashing and fixing than actually flying but eventually I learned how and trained my thumbs to use the sticks. I flew every day I could and really learned the limitations of a 3 channel airplane. I still have that banged up Cub and still fly it on occasion.

Of course you know where it goes from thereÖ I bought another plane and learned 4 channel radio control. Then I started buying ARF and kits. I built them with my own choice of motors and batteries. I constructed a runway in the pasture so I could have smooth landings. I upgraded radios and receivers. I started into basic FPV. A few friends started coming over and we started to fly / build / repair together. Neighbors and their kids come over if they hear the planes flying to watch and learn and have fun. The kids love it and I have a selection of little foam chuck gliders for them to play with as we ďadultsĒ fly and chat. Also everyone loves a ride in a FPV plane on a spare set of goggles.

My estimate is about 500 hours a year on the sticks for the last three years, almost all flying done 20 steps from my door. I also estimate I have not spent what a two week vacation in Hawaii for you and your better half would cost. I have introduced and taught basic radio control to many friends and family and helped them fly for their first time. I am currently honing my skills for flying patterns and also learning how to fly 3D. I built my very first racing quad and am learning how to program and fly it. Like everyone does, I do research online. Found websites like Flitetest and RC Model Reviews and started scratch building aircraft from foam board and pink foam. I went and took my ham radio license so I could use different frequencies for FPV. I became a MAAC member. Recently built a hotwire foam cutter and am experimenting with building different types of wings using variations of airfoils, twist, sweep etc.

What is my point? I have one balsa airplane with a nitro motor and I donít fly it. I fly all foam.

I fully appreciate the time, effort and craftsmanship that it takes to construct and fly a stick built model. Some are purely works of art and there is no end to the admiration I have for the people who build them and fly them well. That being said, foam planes with electric motors are here to stay and you cannot overlook how many new people it has brought into this hobby. It is fun, affordable and crashes donít mean the end of your day at the field. If you are not encouraging people to come to your club and fly but looking down your nose at them for flying foam, really it is a damn shame. You are missing out and so is your club. Look at the younger generation of fliers that can now dream then build and then fly an RC aircraft. FliteFest is a great example.
crmattson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #47
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor

I am: Daniel M

Ill add my 2 cents worth, I love building, make no mistake about it, and 5 years ago I would have not even looked at a 'foamy'. they were cheap, looked like they were cheap, and as scale guy, they just turned me off.
Fast forward to today... I have three foamies now, A flyzone Beaver, Seawind, and a Windrider B737.
I am super impressed with the scale detail, installed lighting, flight characteristics, and to be honest, I could not have built these planes as nicely or as lightly out of wood.
To say that if you don't build your cheating, is not true as this hobby has hundreds of facets to it. Those who build, still can, and those who want to just fly something decent can as well now too.
Look at full scale, not many true pilots build their own plane.
I am a builder at heart, and my Windrider B737 foamy, has taken 40 hours so far to ...put together... and will be another 15 at least, because I have made a lot of mods to it. But there's no way I could have built this plane as nicely as it came to the door.
Are foamies cheating? Not in my opinion. They are a progression of the hobby, just as Im sure the pioneers would say that if your not using a reed type control system, your cheating.
Lets embrace the new as well as have the utmost respect for the past.

Dan
Old 10-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #48
DO335
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Today people can buy and fly- and that is how they like it.
That is an indicator of what's going on. It's not aeromodeling. It's simply dicking around with a toy.

Those who are interested in aeromodeling may continue as they have done in the past. Those who are just playing with toys, will do that.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #49
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 64

Yes I get it that some people just don't want to or don't have the ability to build things and it is a real bonus for them but... to say that you can't build one as nice as a foamy... Hoo Boy! They aren't that special!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 10-30-2016 at 06:14 AM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:00 AM   #50
crmattson
RCC Noob

I am: Clay
Radio of choice:
Spectrum/
# of RCs: 20+

You got to be kidding me... We are all flying toys from the perspective of a licensed pilot, flying real aircraft. This is about the enjoyment we all get either in the creation of a model and/or the flying of a model, that is why we all do take part in this hobby. There is no need for anyone to look down their nose or take a shot at someone because of their choice in what they are flying is made from. There is more young people getting into this hobby now than ever before. Why? Because of electric foam aircraft. It is not a bad thing at all!
crmattson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.