How to hop up an engine? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #41
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul G.

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
If you want to know what the latest in bike & cart 2 stroke tuning methods are you may want to read:

Two-Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell
ISBN 1 85960 619 9

I got my copy from the internet book web site

USD27.00 +
pgibeault is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #42
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Yup, that's where I got my experience on 2-strokes: bikes and karts. I LOVE Lawnboy mowers, I can get them performing like champions with just a needlefile set, and a Dremel, and NO money except for replacement parts. Polishing the crank so that the bearings slip on, square the ports, clean flash off the transfer passage etc, gives it the energy to virtually run through 8" high orchard grass with a sharp blade.

Crocus cloth and jewellers rouge can do wonders for an engine IF YOU HAVE THE TIME to go through the process... Same thing with the prop: building or buying a VERY accurate balancer, a micrometer and a reliable pitch gauge will give you winners every time. Bust your "best" prop? if you've been doing your homework, you will have 2 or 3 more in your fieldbox. Not much money there...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #43
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I started on outboards then when older karts and cars. I still have an jetboat that will go as it was designed for river racing.
To add to your accessories I have an onboard tach and speedo that was installed in a test F1 plane. I found when you copy props to try and be the same it does not always work out. Especially in wood as the strength and density changes. Better with your own molded carbon which if you are into it you would be doing also.
Air in and air out is also good but if you are running tuned exhaust you stuff the exhaust back in. At least as long as I can remember that was what a pipe was for.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #44
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

To Bryan, original posted question.

Wow, lots of good stuff in replies. But unless you are involved in competitions with very stringent restrictions on your power plant, it is alot of effort to go through over a little $80 engine. What's your time worth in the shop as a machinist? You can save huge amounts of your time by refraining from fiddling - redivert that time and turn it into cash to buy the high end engine instead.

Work and life is complicated enough, I don't need to fuss over a simple little 2s engine.

My approach is much simpler.

1) Start with a mit full of props and a nice day at the field. Experiment and find the right prop for the application. Which one runs best on the engine and airframe combo. Fastest acceleration, tallest uplines.

2) After 1, start uppping the nitro until no further gains are noticed. Then back off 5%.

3) If still not happy after 1 and 2 above. Go buy the premium engine or goto the next higher displacement engine. Ie in your case you would go for a 32sx.

My 2c worth.
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #45
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

Well Why I am thinking on fine tuning my 25 size engine is because That is the limit on 2610 combat. I wish I could stuff a bigger engine in my plane but that wouldn't be fair for the competition.

Does anyone have any links to other high end motors in the 25 size range? ie rosi, picco, jet........

Is there any pylon or speed pilots in southern ontario that I could talk to this summer.

Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #46
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
how about the NORVEL 25
suposed to be real hot and tough
MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #47
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Good advice about field-testing, there is where the difference is going to show, not static on the ground.

I am also not sure about the "cubic money" theory, either. If everyone is equal (impossible) and all models are equal (also impossible), then cubic money may be the answer. But there are so many variables in the game that perhaps there are other answers like improving pilot skills, building a better model (cut the 5% rule to the edge!), and changing tactics. Cubic money only goes so far against a wily enemy, or a superior model, or when you are just outflown. As far as "time spent" fussing over a "simple" motor is concerned, getting to know intimately what you are working with is just as important as any other factor: if it don't run, you don't win, and running as hard as you make it would seem to be kina important.

Tuned pipes are a whole new science: wind in, wind out still applies, and tuned pipes are a form of supercharging without the complication (wind in), and tuning a pipe also provides extraction (wind out). Sure, I still remember the old Mac10s on a kart with megaphones, and how they got laid low by the first tuned pipes; time goes on. Every once in a while, a new gimmick comes along, but engine PREPARATION is just as import with a "cheap" engine as with a bigbucks mill!

Take the time to polish those ports, plus whatever it takes to make that engine- YOUR engine- run its very best; it may well be the difference between 1st and 5th!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.