Good filler - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2003, 01:20 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just make it myself, its pretty easy to turn out a nice product.

5.7 oz (either standard or 2x2 twill weave) or any cloth, you can experiment.

Honeycomb is from Fiberglast

At the bottom of the page is the honeycomb

2 plates of acrylic sheet (plexiglass) as big as needed to make a panel. The thicker the better as it helps keep everything straight.

Anyways, put green liquid partall on the acrylic sheets and let dry, usually one coat is enough.

Then spread a thin coat epoxy (west system or equivelent) on one side of each acrylic peice.

Lay down your precut carbon cloth and soak thoroughly with epoxy. Once good and wet squeege out as much as possible.

Lay your precut honeycomb peice on one of the wetted carbon layups. Then place the other acrylic sheet with carbon on top to make the sandwich.

I put about 80 lbs on a 6"x18" panel and it works good.

Let dry and voila. Its easy to cut with a bandsaw or scroll saw.

It ends up being 1/4" thick, has the weight of contest balsa but the strength of light ply (or a little better).

Its a bit of an investment to get all the material, but once you have it you will have enough for 100 years.

Below is the ultimate servo tray, a friend made it from a panel of the sandwich material that I made for him.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
That's really cool!

I could think of 100's of uses for this!

Thanks for the info!

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:04 PM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Chad mentioned how cabosil is almost the same as microballoons, it is but .....

The only difference is that when you go to sand the cabosil it is much harder than the microballoons.
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:41 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

One thing you have to remember, is that different fillers are to be used for different applictaions.

Microballoons are NOT meant for hugh strength reinforcement (like the former mounting Myles is doing) or anchoring hardware, etc. They provide a good thickening, and forming ability and make great fillets. They are lightweight also, a plus for filling. But they weaken the bond.

For strengthening the epoxy, I suggest a finely chopped glass, like West Systems coloidal silica. It makes a great thick paste, but is strong like steel when dry. It is not heavy chopped, and is still easy to form once mixed.

Then there are medium strength fillers that are sort of a halfway between a pure microballon and a pure mechanical filler.

I personally use 3 or 4 fillers (some West System products and some other brands) and if you want to know what to use, give Canada Composites (Mississauga Fibreglass Factory Outlet) a call and talk to the tech guys... they know thier stuff.

Another excellent thing to get is the West System guide to their fillers and uses. They rate them from 1 to 4 for filleting, bonding, laminating, etc and if you dont want to buy their brand, you can still reference the same material from another supplier.

And dont forget buying in bulk is cheaper, a LOT cheaper. I buy my microballoons in a gallon pail for about $10, you know what a tiny can costs at the LHS....
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:44 AM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc T
Radio of choice:

Cabosil is the same as coloidal silica. It doesn't add strength to the mix , just makes it thixotropic ( I love throwing around big words !) . This just means that the epoxy is thickened , won't run and can be made into fillets. Milled fibreglass has the same effect but can get lumpy if you add too much.

Marc Thomson
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
747drvr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 AM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Canada Composites

My main application is for the main former that the wings attach to in my turbine BD-5, so I want it to be tough. Although I will be using the bonding method for other formers, they will not need to be so extreme.
I lost the phone number for Canada Composites, could you post it again for me please?
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:00 AM   #17
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Steve M
Radio of choice:
Sanwa MX-V

I've used the micro balloons with epoxy with great results, but as mentioned already this should not be used where strength is required.

I recall that Sig used to sell a two part epoxy putty that could be used for adding strength and fillets. I no longer see this product on their website so it may be a discontined product.

I also once had some two part epoxy putty glue from europe but I can't remember the product name. It was a German manufacturer and the puty was a grey/taupe colour once mixed.
SteveM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:18 AM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Mark, it does make the epoxy tougher, (stronger if you will).

406 Colloidal Silica is a thickening additive used to control the viscosity of the epoxy and prevent epoxy runoff in vertical and overhead joints. 406 is a very strong filler that creates a smooth mixture, ideal for general bonding and filleting. It is also our most versatile filler. Often used in combination with other fillers, it can be used to improve the strength, abrasion resistance, and consistency of fairing compounds, resulting in a tougher, smoother surface.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:51 PM   #19
RCC Apprentice
I am: Fred Messacar
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

For those who may be interested, Cabosil is also used as a flatting agent in paint of any form (ie: Dope, Epoxy etc.). It's inert and a little goes a looooooong way.

messacar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:04 AM   #20
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
I use corn starch if it's not a strength issue. No weight, easy to sand, readily available upstairs. Comments?? works great with zpoxy.

JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.