RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #11
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jan B

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I wonder if the cold affects all types of batteries the same? I tested Ni-cads several years ago and found almost the same discharge capacity and power at normal temps and a test done at -15 C. I flew several Ni-cad powered planes including long duration glider flights close to an hour in temps below -10C with no loss in power or duration. I have not tested
any NIMH yet but would be curious to know.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:47 AM   #12
RCC Noob

I haven't notice much problem with NiCad in cold, either. In sailplane after it's been gliding in sub-zero temp for few minutes, NiCad doesn't seem to loose its power.
Lipo is probably the worst in cold.

I'll wait until the spring before getting my next Lipo pack.
Caveman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:45 AM   #13
Frank Weaver
RCC Apprentice

A local modeler did some extensive testing on Lipos, NiCads and NiMH batteries, as to how they were effected by the cold. Mind you this was in Victoria and by cold I mean slightly above 0C. So, the effect can only be amplified by living back east on the main land. He found that the preformance was greatly reduced in all that mathamatical stuff, like watts out, volts, amps, RPM and flight time, varying according to the battery type.

Solution......charge your batteries up at home in your nice warm workshop, put them in your pocket, under the six layers of clothing you have to wear back there, til needed. Just don't be tempted to put them in your undershorts, especially Lipos!!!!

Or, this may be the results...........
Frank Weaver
fly S.M.A.L.L., have a BALL
MAAC 8408
Frank Weaver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Hi Frank: Gord here
Some guy must be nutz. Had our winter funfly on Sun. -20 C. Rolly and I were flying electrics while everybod else were trying to get there engines started. Didn't seem to matter how big the batts. were. Getting about 6 mins. per flight and about 150 ma. taken out of a batt after a charge. One was 730 ma the other was 1200 ma. Then 6 mins. was all our fingers could take. Was flying a homemade Spa3d lookalike. weighs 8.5 oz. Does all the spad will do . One of those twin cyl GWS motors with 3 cell lipos.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Can't get depron or fanfold in Kingston, so I glued four meat trays together to make a 24 by 14 wing. fuse is a 1/8 carbon rod. Comical to do a snaproll. Stab is about two turns behind the wing. Think I'll use a tube, now they're available.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:43 PM   #16

Lipos should not be used below -5 degrees C. Their efficiency is reduced very much in cold.
8074 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.