RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2003, 08:07 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 8

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
At out club there are about 5 or 6 guys that actually fly, the rest....well I don't know what they do, but the guys that fly care about the hobby and our field, we do everything to keep it in good shape. We are very lucky to have a kind farmer let us use his field, he uses it for hay and alows us to have a fairly large chunk of it to fly off of. We pay him every year out of the club funds because we appreate it so much, the 6 (give or take 1 or 2) have the most say, if anything happens in the club we are the ones that get to decide what to do, the others have got a lot of nerve to complain about the club since they never fly there or do anything (not saying they do but you get the point......) We do sometimes find it hard to get people to come and do stuff for events, we are limited to a few, so we get to decide how we are going to do things and if the club members that never show up dont like it....well, thats nice. Thats how we do it.

Align R/C, OS Engines, Futaba, Great Hobbies, Hatori, SGP, Morgan Fuels, Castle Creations
Colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:21 AM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba T7C 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
[quote="rcav8tor"]Well, your all right here. I just don't understand it, but in any club it is the same.
We, //// I, ...have said the same as Garry, No help no event. That does help somewhat, but I don't think it is the total answer.

Grass cutting is one job that just has to be done. And paying someone to do it ..... cost is just too much for some clubs.
Although we don't have this problem at this time, I can see it becoming a problem in the future.
How about a lottery in January of each year....... each member will "WIN" a week during the cutting season. That member will be responcable for the cutting that week. If it does not get done, he will be fined at the next meeting.
Just a thought. Might work ! Of course this could be used for almost any event......

Brian your right it isn't cost effective to pay for a necessary
service like grass cutting, and we really can't afford it either.
That's why l tried to change it, l went through all the proper
channels (notified members at a meeting, published it in the
newsletter etc. a few ringers who seldom come to meetings
or the field showed up and led the pack to defeat my motion.
To "fine" members will only drive members out and IMO hurt
your chances of recruitment.
I did warn members that paying for such basic services that
we should be doing ourselves for free membership only
will certainly cause a dues increase in the near future.
When all is done there isn't much left for new equipment etc.
It isn't enough to just cover club expenses you need a kitty
to draw on for emergencies. Another local club had their
new riding mower stolen, if something like that happens to
us we are screwed. Some people like to learn the hard way.
By the way when my motion was defeated they got quite nasty
about it. They said no to taking turns cutting as it risked
damage to the equipment by some unfamilar with it and
felt a set couple of guys could be depended on more.
ratherbflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
Strictly volenteered

Now this is a question that is as complex as what is my wife thinking now.
After reading a number of these posts,a thought has crossed my mind.All clubs spend quantum amounts of money on lawn tractors or mowers,gas,maintenence and other items related to field maintenance.I wounder if one took that budget and approached a local lawn care survace if one could not accomplish the same thing?
I think the problem for all of us is that people joining our hobby expet us to be like the local golf club.You pay your dues and everything is taken care of except playing the round of golf.For modelers to have that kind of luxury,every club would need a membership fee in the $50.00 range.NOT !!!
I have no answer either and Jim,I hear ya!
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:33 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

The other issue with volunteers are the folks that give their name but not the time. Many times, in the heat of the moment, you might get a volunteer in name but they truly don't have the time required to complete the task properly.

Most cases that I've seen to date, the individual rarely even mentions that they don't have the time, it just doesn't really get done. Even with good intentions, some folks want to help and life gets in the way sometimes.

In another buddy's club, and I'm sure this exists elsewhere as well, there are folks who like the title on their "resume" but haven't had the time to see the job to fruition.

My personal stance is that I agree that a volunteer is just that, a volunteer but unless they can do the work associated, they haven't really volunteered at all.

There are all types out there folks, other than incentives (which is really a paid staff, not really volunteer), unless they truly want to help the club, they won't. Having 30% of the club as volunteers isn't much good unless they are all actually doing stuff. That's why we see the same 10-15 people each year.

Cancelling events was done at another local club, some members were ticked but no one stepped up. Maybe that's a viable option though it's a risk of not getting members out to the field as well, will they renew etc etc.

You really can't force the volunteer spirit in people

hmmmm deep stuff.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:39 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor

I think the "golf course" analogy has hit the nail on the head..people generally expect to pay their dues, and that is the end of it... So, logically they should be charged golf course type fees...say, oh....$1500 a year to belong to this exclusive club, and $50 each time they want to fly.....

Seriously, I don't have a solution, although I think there should be an expectation on every member to put in some service hours for their club every year.....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:33 AM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

We got a new riding mower last fall. Now the grass cutting guy wont let ANYONE else near the new machine!

I live a fair distance from my club, and having my own business I work a lot of hours. I cannot contribute to the maintanence as much as I should. In order to give my fair share back to the club, I purchased our two club trainers, and radio/engine for one, and also donate more $$ to events than I have to.

Its actually easier/cheaper for me than to take time off of work and drive to the field (nearly 40 minutes one way) to cut some grass.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Andrew,guys like you are a gem and as valued as much as volunters.We can undersand those who are maxed to limit with being a business owner,have little kids and family responsibilities.I've been through that myself ut always tried to help in other ways.But the guys who do nothing but gripe,kids are grown and are,like me,9 to 5 types.Those are the ones who bother me the most.
Again,no easy answers.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #18
RCC Expert Contributor

Well I belong to the same club as Propworn. Sun Parlor R/C Flyers.
As Dennis stated we have 4 hours of volunteer work as part of your membership. We have several members that are80 plus years old. We of course do not expect them to pick up a shovel. BUT they have NO problem getting in there 4 hours of volunteer work either. This was started several years ago. Take this year, out of a membership of 80 plus we had maybe 12 that did not get any or part of there 4 hours in. They were assist a extra amount on this years dues. This was voted on and pasted by the membership. We hold a average of 8 events a year, from mall show, fun flys, to our BIG 2 day event. Each CD of the event turns in a list of volunteers he had, to the member that keeps the record of hours worked. This is posted at the field several times a year. So members can see, and check for errors (which can happen). You can get credit for time volunteer doing anything for the club. This has bought our work force up to 85% of the membership. :P
Give it a try... or raise your dues... to pay people to do the work.
Palmer Johnson
Jabba is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:17 PM   #19
RCC Expert Contributor

again.... cutting the grass is only ONE thing you can do for your CLUB.

Get involved... it is much more fun....
Palmer Johnson
Jabba is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #20
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
AND if I remember correctly Andrew, you paid for all the food for the TARMAC funfly for the lunch meal at no little expense.

Being disabled, I can't personally do what I would like in the physical labour department for the club but there are many other things that can be done that takes the burden from others who do so much! If everyone pitches in just a little each year, and 4 hours is really not over burdoning anyone, things will get done and all can enjoy the many benefits the club offers.

This is a great thread and like has been said, others who read this may be moved to help out in some way who otherwise haven't done their fair share! Keep the ideas coming people. And please, do what you can to support your club. Any club is only as good as the people involved!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.