Unfavorable news from England - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Unfavorable news from England

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Read on the AV Web site this morning

An English town has banned flying model aircraft following the death of a 13-year-old girl struck by one. Tara Lipscombe died of head injuries after being hit last April 15. The Dartford Heath council imposed the ban pending the approval of new bylaws...
email direct me at kenair@shaw.ca
PM's occasionally checked.
my site at http://www.sportrc.com
kenair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:45 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Total Props: 1

That's just terrible news. That poor little girl.
The chances of this type of thing are very slim. you have a better chance of having a fatality in a car accident than with flying models I would say. Are they going to ban automobiles as well?
Still very sad news....
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Here is the story:http://www.thisislewisham.co.uk/disp...438396.0.0.php

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:03 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

good link Ron,
too add to yours here is a link from the BBC

kenair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
unfavourable news from England

The news article definately has a negative slant and has only published negative comments from area residents.The reaction of the local council certainly begs to ask many questions.I for one would like to know what the inquiry looked at,who they interviewed and what involvement their national modelings participation was.
If as the article suggests,that concerns have been raised for years,then what pro active action did the local modelling community take?
Nothing in life is 100% safe,not even getting out of bed in the morning.
Saftey is something we must practice all the time and not just the flying side.We must also look at how our fields are layed ou,maintained for saftey as well as the not so obvious,what's on the perifferals.
As a New Years Resolution we should all strive to be as safe as possible and remember the rules are there not only to protect us but everyone.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:42 PM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Who ever said politics was fair? If it were many other dangerous activities would have been banned many many years ago. How many of the people who gave negative comments about this unfortunate accident smoke, or drink and may even get behind the wheel of their autos? How many of them speed? We could go on and on but the point is, its well known and documented that smoking kills, drinking causes many severe medical problems that lead to death, as does drunk driving. And excessive speed can and does kill.

And yet to a lesser degree these are all tolerated and probably at least some of those who made these negative comments and the authorities who support the banning of this hobby do these other things. They know nothing really about RC aircraft and yet are quick to jump on the ban wagon over this one accident. We in protest say, lets be fair but I repeat, who ever said life was fair?

I do hope the RC community in this town in England have and will continue to help educate the general public about this hobby and by theirs and our actions, all of us show that as unfortunate and tragic this accident was, that it was a very rare occurrence and that hard work by all club members will continue to assure the greatest safety and that hopefully accidents like this will not be repeated.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:05 PM   #7
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor
I am: Ken B

The attitude is pretty much sumed up by an individual I was having a discussion with concerning the registering of hunting firearms. His statement was quote:

"I have never owned a gun, I see no reason why anyone should own a gun so ban them"

Of course anything could be substituted for "gun". His attitude was if I am not interested or see no reason why anyone would be interested then get rid of or ban it.

There have been a number of examples in this forum of people advocating rules for this and rules for that as well as ban it. The attitude being not much different than the politicans in question.

I don't expect to see any significant change in human nature in the for-see-able future.
New Maryland N.B.
MAAC 32921
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
First let me say it is truly a sad day when an accident like this happens. The loss the family has suffered and the heartache the pilot and owner must feel.

I was aware that this had happened earlier. The accident itself is old news. The banning of model flying from the Heath was not unexpected.

The Heath is a small public area similar to a park - conservation area which is used by the general public for recreational purposes. I emailed a few friends as well as speaking with a few older fellas at work who flew models in England when they were kids and was told that there are lots of situations like this over there. In the early years aero modeling was encouraged and due to the small sizes and small power plants even the free flight which most of them flew were of little concern and suitable for the small areas. The sizes of the flying sites have remained the same while the size speed and complexity of the models have increased. The BFMA is has noted that there are sites which are not suitable for modern models but are still suited for free flight, gently guided free flight and old timers. The few modelers I have emailed have the same concerns as over here about over regulating our hobby. They don't want to loose sites or restrict the growth of modeling in any way. I know in our city there are already bylaws and fines for flying models in any of the local parks.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:04 PM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4
Both events mentioned are sad. Let us hope there is no epidemic of both.

MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:40 PM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Rene B

I for one am not very knowledgeable, and I am not sure as to whether or not any of our flying fields are located in park areas, but if we do have such setups as they have in England, then I would think that it is only a matter of time before it happens here in this country. Safety is always paramount, but any public event where flying is involved is always a potential accident waiting to happen. Maybe its time to educate the public as well as those of us who fly these things. Just my humble opinion

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.