Old 04-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #11
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Salty
Once you try a four stroke you'll always want to have at least one in your fleet. The sound is neat and they do run so nice. I ran a Saito 45 for years on a cub and it flew realistic and was cheap on fuel. Now I have a Saito 1.8, power is awesome. It likes fuel, but heh I didn't get it to save money. The closest glow I have to compare it to is a Moki 2.1, and it really likes fuel. I did install a Cline regulator on the Saito 1.8 and it works well. They sound neat, are user friendly and really no more work than a 2 stroke. The one thing you must do is inject after run oil into the crankcase. The bottom end does not breathe like a 2 stroke. I've taken a lot of 4 strokes apart and a lot of guys aren't using the after run oil (c'mon guys).

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I love my Saito 4 strokes. My algebra is not that good so all I can do is compair what I experience in the running and flying of these engines.

I had a Goldburg Super Chipmunk and installed an OS .61 two stroke engine. It flew great and the engine was a great runner. I decided to try a Saito .91 and installed it in the Chipmunk. Wow! What a difference. Same plane but the feel and handling just seemed so much nicer and I liked the performance better. That plane could do just about any manover in the book with ease flying the four stroke. Thats what really sold me on four stroke engines. Now, I just can't tolerate using a two stroke in a scale airplane. Its gotta be a four stroke. And for scale, the sound is so much more realistic. Man, I love the smell of a four stroke pumping out the exhaust in the morning.....LOL.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #13
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Another very important consideration between the two is the huge difference in the size of the mufflers. In some airplanes a 2 stroke simply will not fit unless you purchase an aftermarket pitts type muffler - and they are not cheap. There are other alternative such as cutting huge holes in cowlings or cheeks, or cutting tunnels into the fuselage to clear those big 2 stroke mufflers.

4 stroke mufflers are smaller, and generally are double jointed so you have some options to move them around to fit a particular application.

One thing I have noticed over several years of operating both types of engines is that people flying 4 stroke engines generally throttle back when they fly, while those flying 2 stroke engines usually run them full throttle for the whole flight. I know this is a generalization, but stop and take a look next time you see either engine in the air, and you will see what I mean...........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:43 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ID

What about vibration differences between the two???
I have been runing my Saito 100 to break it in lately and when I go above half throttle, it vibrates so badly, the exhast always falls off. Note, its running very rich, prop is balanced.
My two-strokes barley vibrate...
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
2thelmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:25 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
Gary, I agree

I took my Super Chipmunk from a 60 to an OS91 and it is so much more responsive to throttle changes. Flies smoooooth.

I think since the fuel/air goes straight from the carb to the cylinder there is less lag in the response to throttle adjustments.

The engine costs much more up front but I have never had regrets about this engine.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Hello; All my planes have four stroke engines in them, I had some good two strokes and had success with them. I just prefer the four stroke as it is a more user friendly tourque machine. I have 4 strokes from 26 to 3200, mostly I use 45 to 56 size, and 80 size, oh yea I have 2 120 size plnaes I use a lot. I like to swing a huge prop, and have power at low revs. A larger plane presents well and is easier to see in the sky, making it easier to fly. My spacewalker wouldn't be any fun if I had to zap around the sky at high speed all the tinme, and couldn't fly it on the edge of stall.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.