Lipo batteries for short course truck - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 10-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Short Course RC
RCC Noob
I am: Jacob Read
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Lipo batteries for short course truck

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is a 20c 2s 5000 mah lipo enough for a 1/10 scale short course and how much better is 3s?
Short Course RC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: jerry k
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Re: Lipo batteries for short course truck

First off make sure the ESC is good to go on 3s lipo. If so then are you running stock brushed or is it brushless system? If it something like a traxxes vxl system then 20c is a little low but will work as long as you watch your run times and how long you hold it open for. If the battery gets hot or puffs then you need higher C rating. I run 3s 5000 anywhere from 30 to 45c all day long with no problems.... Now when it comes to lipos i have tried all these vemon.oyxe packs that cost out the butt and had nothing but problems with them blowing up catching fire puffing ect and when you call them about this problem they tell you we don't ship lipo's to Canada yet i bot them here in Canada at LHS. So what i do now is go on this great site called Hobbyking and i buy turnigy roar approved 3s 5000 45/70c or higher pack cost half as much and never had any problems with them and look at it this way you can get 2x 3s 5000 hardcase packs shipped to my door that are way better way more power for the same price as 1 of there so called good name brand lipos soooo in the end even if you do pop a Hobbyking lipo your only out $30/$40 bucks and not $140 bucks they charge here at LHS hope this helped.
baja5t is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor

★ Moderator ★
I am: John
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 1

In addition to makin sure your ESC can handle the higher voltage, you also gotta know how much KV your motor is. That is # RPM per volts.
If you go from a 2S to a 3S, you are deliviring that much more voltage (and RPM) to the motor.

So if you up the voltage, your motor runs faster. The downside is you have a big jump from stopped throttle to full throttle, making it hard to be precise in the speed (Throttle) control

In some cases, you may have to replace the motor with a lower KV if you up the voltage.

Just sayin'
RC- My first love
Skagen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
I am: Nick N
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

duratrax 3 cell lipo. best bang for your buck
rccars12 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

The resultant higher rpm due to upping voltage does little good if you can't lay down the extra power. The limiting factor is usually running surface conditions (traction).

Earl "narly1" Anderson
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Do any tracks have classes that allow 3s, or are you just bashing for fun?
Pico Tiger Moth | Formosa | PZ Extra 300 | Sbach AS3X | UMX Habu | um P51 | UMX AS3Xtra | mCPX | Phantom 3 Pro | Blade nano qx FPV | Indy 250 FPV Racer | XXT | 22T | TT-01D M3
wparsons is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.