Let's give MAAC a hand! - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #31
prangled prop
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: administraton

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Morison
There are a couple of problems when you say that administration costs are too high.

One - an independent office review that was commissioned by the board of directors in 1998 (report delivered in 1999 when I was on the board) - at a cost of $5-8,000 - basically said that the office was under staffed and was underpaid. (when compared to similar organizations)
The report was long and detailed, and many directors admitted that they didn't read all of it and some even said they didn't read all of it because they disagreed with what it said.

Two - For almost a decade the membership dues stayed at approx $44.50 while inflation slowly ate away at the association's buying power. By 2002, the dues should have been at or above$55 - which represents over $105,000 of lost spending power to the association. (this is nearly the same as is spent on office wages)
Very interesting. Most every company in Canada has had to trim overhead. One way of doing this is to find a contractor who is mor efficient at a job than you are. For example, processing dues and issuing membership cards. There are data processing companies out there who I am sure could receive, process, and mail out cards quicker and considerably cheaper than HQ staff. Why? Because that is all they are doing and it flows through with the rest of the data they are processing.

I do not want to start a fight or argument about wages but please bear this in mind. My wife work till recently in the local hospital. She was the director of medical records, had 15 plus people working under her Her salary was not a whole lot more that our Secretary/Treasurer is being paid. You will have to do a lot more that to mention some independent office review that was produced by lord knows who to convince me that some nice people in head office need a pay raise to process memberships.
I know I am over simplifying their job somewhat and I do apologize for that but basically that is what their job is. They are very nice people who do a very nice job. But throwing increasing dues is not an ends to a means. Look at Bell Canada, my phone rates have more that doubled in the last 5 or so years but service has reached an all time low.

We must find better ways and more efficient ways of doing business. We need intelligent leadership who will lead us forward not but bandages on the trouble spots.

And of course as always this is just my opinion put on here for discussion and reflection. And not meant to insult anyone nor to elicit anyone rath
prangled prop is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #32
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8
MAAC is not run by bunch of share holders. The people at MAAC should get paid a fair wage for the type of work they do. I like the idea of sourcing business to MAAC memebers if the price is right. What's next a MAAC union?
MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:02 PM   #33
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Originally Posted by Jabba
3) Programs to attract younger members
I can agree with trying to attract young members.

I find the BIGGEST problem with getting NEW YOUNG members is:

There ability to get themselfs and there planes to the field.
Two I do not think any of us want to become a baby sitting club.

So if the parents are not going to bring them out and STAY around with the younger ones... it is a problem.

I am not a baby sitter either, and have no desire to work with kids that arent interested in model aviation. But, if you have a heart, and love the hobby - when a young person you see HAS the talent and drive to take part in this hobby why cant you :

A- offer to drive him/her to the field, since you are going there anyhow
B- offer to teach him/her about the hobby, and how to safetly participate in it
C- offer any unused equipment that may otherwise sit unused to someone young who maybe cannot afford it.

I was young not too many years ago. I remember the first engine my mentor gave me, and still cherish it. I also remember the help I was given by total strangers, when I would go out to the local field and watch the guys fly. They took the time to stop, help me start my engines and set them, show me how thoer planes worked and it made me feel like a part of the group. I joined MAAC in 1983 simply because they suggested I do, and I listened to them. I have many thanks, and will ALLWAYS remember these guys.

One is now my flying "buddy", Dan Nadeau, who is on this site. Believe it or not, now I can help him with his planes and stuff, since he was out of the hobby for a long time.

I feel it is of vital importance to take time and work with young people, to get them active and see what this hobby can be all about. If I get a few stuck on the hobby, it is worth more to me than anything else.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:22 PM   #34
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
There is absolutely nothing more rewarding than seeing the look on some youngsters face during his first flight. I lived in Gander for a while and the air cadets there were very involved in RC. I had a great time helping out the younger folks and actually miss it. Here in Moncton we hardly ever get any young people involved for some reason.
DX18 Stealth, H9 Inversa 33, H9 33% Edge, H9 33% Decathlon.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #35
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
During the early part of the summer we had 18 Air Cadets come out to the field and 4 of us used our trainers with buddy boxes and gave each one at least two turns flying and those who wanted, each had another turn.

I was very surprised at the ability of some of these young people for their very first time on the sticks. Also surprising was the fact that some of the best young pilots of the day were girls. The cadets were very appreciative and we have planned to do this at least once a season.

Your right Andrew and Terry, it is a most rewarding feeling of accomplishment working with these young people. Very worth the effort and they are the future of RC.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:15 PM   #36
Marc Sharpe
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Agreed, it never get's old helping someone to their first solo. That same exhileration, friendship and ability to leave the real life issues behind for a while is why most of us enjoy this hobby.

As far as MAAC business:

The Business end is about protecting our frequencies, making sure we have affordable insurance so that we can have and keep the fields where we make our escapes. The rest of the list follows in any order you personal desire takes you because they don't exist without the first 3.
........recent escapee from the nut farm and Loogan hunter!
Marc Sharpe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.