BAE Hawk 70mm Build - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: MartinZ
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
BAE Hawk 70mm Build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
During my last order from HK for some EDF parts, they had a sale on so I decided it was a good opportunity to purchase another model. Plus my wife has come to expect a large box to show up at the door anytime I order model parts so I did not want to disappoint her!!! As I had been flying larger 90mm and twins for most of the flying season I was looking for something with decent performance that would be easy to through in the car to go to field without disassembling. I thought the 70mm BAE Hawk that HK sells would be a good candidate, plus it was on sale from $45 for $27 so I had to order one.

The model is by Flying Illusion and comes in a large box which shows two versions, the Navy one which I received and a Red Arrow version. I am not sure if HK only sells the Navy version or whether you may get either one depending on the HK packers mood. The Navy version is all white EPO foam with red accent colors. This is a bare kit which requires servos, ESC and fan/motor. As my intention was to turn this into a bungee launched aircraft I did not install the fixed gear and added three skids to protect the bottom on grass landings. There are several other reviews online that discuss EDF setups using 3S and 4S. As I had spare 70 mm fans that I bought for my SU35, a spare 100a Turnigy ESC and smaller 2450mah 6S batteries, I decided to use these matched up to a Dr Mad Thrust 2600kv 6S. This 6S setup is light and produces over 2kg of thrust so I figured it should have good performance. I did add a couple of plywood blocks on each side of the fuselage to screw the fan to before the bottom foam fuselage cover was attached with silicone.

The only other modifications that I made was to add some CF rods to the horizontal stab to strengthen it up and add another wing screw to the aft of the wing saddle. The rear of the wing just has a foam tab that slides into the fuselage which was not very snug. The wing already has several CF spars installed. The thin plastic nose cone is pretty flimsy and ugly so I glued a chunk of foam on the nose and after a little bit of carving, some filling and sanding it looks much better and is more rugged. I also repainted all the red areas with some latex paint that was matched up from Home Depot and repainted the canopy frame to match the original paint scheme. The manual is pretty poor but there is not very much to illustrate as the model goes together pretty quick. The only thing that was missing was CofG location, go figure. Anyway I found it on another review which recommended 150mm from the lip of the intake back. This worked out to be perfect without requiring any trim at all on the maiden flight. With the model AUW at 1.327kg (including a 390g battery) and about 2kg of thrust it is not surprising how impressive the vertical performance is. I can almost take it vertical out of sight yet it slows down to a walking pace for landing.

If you are looking for a larger inexpensive foam jet that has great performance then I would recommend this model/fan package. Also due to the stability, slow flight characteristics and size of the model, this would be an ideal first EDF model for those interested in trying jet flying and at the price it is a bargain!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16687.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	736810   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16694.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	736818   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16688.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	736826   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16689.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	736834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16690.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	736842   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16691.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	736850   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC16692.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	736858  

Last edited by SARPLT; 11-10-2015 at 12:40 PM.
SARPLT is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
Re: BAE Hawk 70mm Build

Nice report Martin!
Thanks for posting.
Zen thinking * It's rebuildable till it fits back in the box. **
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.