Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My future father -in-law (ouch it hurts to say that! )
Andrew, just call him "Dad". You'll get used to it!

Just how much do these Jet engines cost?

Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:31 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Bar Stock .50 is currently $310 US plus shipping.

Thats approx. $480 Canadian right now landed to your door.

Yes, its expensive. But man, they are one sweet engine. Some people say spending $500 on a .46 or 50 size engine is CRAZY... but look at it this way... its like comparing a new DA 50 to a Zenoah 45.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #23
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Maybe were missing somthing here,,,

I don't know about this. We have the resident "Tim Taylor" at our field. He is always yelling more power. Last year after he fried a motor ( his reason is poor quality of motor,, the real reason is it was toooooo lean!!!)he decided to turn an LT-40 into a pylon racer. My point is this,, power comes in many forms. If you want to hover,, you need umphff and not top speed. More diameter and less pitch. If top speed is your goal,, more pitch less diameter. Just a thought,, but I don't see the need to gain RPM unless your making use of what you already have.
Busy is defined as your wife won't let you come out to play!!

Take the Dog approach

If you can't eat it or hump it,
P*ss on it and walk away
JamesP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:07 PM   #24
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17
Father-in-Law ... sheesh, now that you mention it Andrew, it sounds weird. When I lived in KL we were flying buddies, and obviously Rachels' buddy , and I was in the dark, just kiddin
Yes, I have the Jett BSE 50. Currently it's still breaking in, I run a 9x6 prop (that's right a 9x6). Dubb specifically states not to load the engine on breakin AND that they love RPM! Load is the enemy here. So, soon will move up to a bigger prop. Regarding the OS 46 hop up ... I think if a fellow does a few mods to the engine one can get away with it. The 46 is rated for 17000 RPM. In my opinion the internals are built well. As I mentioned before it has a head shim, .008". Remove it and run it up, tach it. See what you get. In order to avoid a blown plug install an A3 right off the bat. Try 10% and then some 15%. The tach will soon tell you. For some nice gains though a pipe will really help. If you can pick up a thousand rpm's and move up a pitch size the engine won't self destruct. The worst enemy is of course too lean, so don't tweak the needle too much. Bryan and myself have been doing some performance mods on an OS 25 fx and getting some very respectable gains! Gosh, it's like we're almost scaring this guy away from doing any mods to his engine. The only way to learn is to try.

Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:21 PM   #25
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1
I am excited about the testing Frank and myself are doing on my os 25 fx. I wouldn't belive it but we picked up alot (2200)rpm by adding a tuned pipe. over a stock engine. Right know we are still testing different combinations with prop, fuel, carb etc. The ultimate test will be the first test flight of the now hopped up engine Should be exciting!
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.